Return to the Grandparents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Guide lines needed!

Posted by
Mother in law
(downtwoearth@msn.com) on
Sun, Nov 11, 01 at 17:51

Can anyone help us establish some good guidlines for the babysitting of our upcoming grandbaby? We very much want to be involved and help in the nurturing of this new child. I have told my son and daughter in law that I would like to offer them childcare for the first year of this childs life. We are about 5 months away now (from the birth) and I want to make sure we remain good friends as we are now. Any suggestions? Thank You..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Guide lines needed!

That's so nice of you--offering to help out. I don't know if this is the kind of thing you mean, but when my daughter was born, both sets of grandparents were anxious to do their share of babysitting. No one wanted me to pay them, but I had a strict rule--free babysitting was okay if we were going out to dinner or other entertainment, but I absolutely insisted on paying when I was working (not that often, I was substituting then). One situation was a family favor, the other was something I'd have had to pay someone else to do if the GP's weren't around to help.

You do want to keep in mind that while it's certainly your place to indulge and spoil your grandchildren, you still shouldn't overrule their parents' wishes regarding routines, rules and discipline. After all, it's the parents' place to decide how they want their child raised and it can be very confusing to a child if there are different rules in different places (or with different people).

I know you already know about the most imporant thing--if you love them and want the best for them, that's going to take care of pretty much everything, isn't it.

Have fun with that new little one when it gets here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Grandparents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here