SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bhamnanny

boundaries with daughters first baby

bhamnanny
15 years ago

my daughter and i have always had a pretty good relationship, but since her baby was born just under a year ago, she has shut me out of her life several times, once for 93 days! she says i want the baby to like me more than her. i have had to hold my tongue and walk on

eggshells many times. she thinks that i want to be this baby's mother. (i truly don't) i love the baby and just want to be the best grandma i can be. now the first birthday is coming up, and she has told me 3 times that i

should distance myself from the baby at the party so as not to make the other grandparents mad. the baby seems to prefer me, simply because i will get down in the floor and play, and also i will do funny faces and things to make the baby laugh. what do i do? should i just stay away from the party. should i stop playing with the baby. i have always been a real baby lover, i volunteer at the local children's hospital every saturday and go in and rock babies. i keep the nursery at my church and all the babies have always loved me. i want a close, loving relationship with this baby, especially, because it is

MY granddaughter. should i step back? am i doing something wrong? she wants me to distance myself from the baby and in the next breath, she says i should correct her

more. i think its her parents job to correct her not mine. the only way i would scold her is if she were doing something that would hurt herself. does anyone have any

advice for me?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Loudoun County, Virginia