Return to the Grandparents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Abusive stepgrandmother

Posted by SAG1 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 14, 02 at 20:29

My niece is twelve and her stepfather's mother is rude to her, sometimes abusive. Both parents work and the stepgrandmother lives next door. My niece has to watch her younger halfsister, which the stepgrandmother favors. Apparently one day the stepgrandmother came over and accued my niece of hitting he sister, then slapped her and threw a CD at her, then stepped on it. the stepgrandmother calls her names and makes comments about her weight and says she is a stupid idiot. The stepgrandmother does some weird things once in a while, like mowing the lawn at midnigth and spraying air freshener outside. My niece confided in me, and I dont know if I should say something. My sister has noticed her MIL favors the other child and tries to make up for it with extra gifts. The husband works alot and is never home (they are welloff because of his job).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Abusive stepgrandmother

How old is the grandmother? You might consider sitting down with your sister and the niece to see how "bad" this situation is. The grandmother may not realize she could go to jail, depending on where you live, if this continues. If the husband is gone all day, then it is up to the sister to take control of the situation, unless you feel the nieces life is in dangerous, and then I would let ALL parties know, including the husband, a report could be made with the correct law enforcment.
Marie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Grandparents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here