SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tlescak

Grandparents Don't Treat Stepgrandchild Equally

tlescak
21 years ago

This post is rather ironic seeing as on the "Stepfamily" board I have a post called "Success Story" which describes my relationship with my stepdaughter. The relationship with MY parents is "Another Story".

I have an 8 yr old stepdaughter. I just had a child of my own 7 months ago. When my wife and I met and up until the baby was born, my Mom and Stepdad treated my stepdaughter like their own grandchild. Ever since the baby has been born this has all changed. When my mother calls on the phone she always asks "How's the baby" she NEVER even mentions my stepdaughter. When they come over (very seldom) they literally fight over who gets to hold the baby, and stepdaughter is all but ignored. Then to top it off, when it is time for the baby to be put down for a nap, they take that as their cue to leave.

It hurts me to see my stepdaughter who I love like my own get excited that my parents are coming to visit, and then stand there on the sidelines as the baby gets all of the attention and then have them go home without having spent any time with her. I know I can't MAKE them love her, and I don't want to. I just wish they would be a little more considerate of her feelings, and mine.

Is there anything I can say or do? Anything I should say or do?

Comments (9)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus