SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gbsongbird

Out of Control Grandparents

GbSongbird
21 years ago

I need some input as to what to do about my parents. I am an only child and was fairly spoiled by my parents except when it came to sitting and watching sports that I participated in. I married at 19 to a wonderful guy and had my first child at 21. When our son came into this world my mother doted on him to the point of excluding everything (and everyone) else. When our second child came along 3 yrs later (a son as well) he was treated good but not the same as our first son. My parents began to defy our wishes almost immediately. They would buy toys that we said the boys couldn't have (violent toys and video games). We fought and fought but kept finding out they had these items at my parents house and were being told not to tell us they had them there. When my oldest was 13 my parents started buying him cigarettes because he asked for them. I had always been told if they caught me smoking they would make me eat it and then they were buying them for my child. Unfortunately we didn't find out for 2 yrs they were doing this. They justified it by saying they thought he wouldn't do drugs if they bought him cigarettes. It didn't stop him -- he even tried lsd and called them to pick him up from work when he had a bad trip. We only found this out a month ago -- they never told us about it and didn't even try to get him help for it. There have been battles about many things over the years and my husband and I have looked like the bad guys because we said "no" sometimes and they could ask their grandparents and get what they wanted. Our boys are now 16 and 19 and the oldest is away at a culinary school. We thought since he would be 6 hours away that maybe this cycle would be broken. We were wrong. Our son has decided that drinking and doing drugs is more important than going to school and he has become quite a problem. We cut off his loan disbursements so he has to to finance the rest on his own. We have asked my parents to stay out of this and allow him to grow up and take responsibility for his actions. They tell us they are and then turn around and send hundreds of dollars a month to him behind our backs. The last straw that made us stop communicating with them happened a few weeks ago. My parents were going to give our oldest their 2nd vehicle after he finished school. We begged them to reconsider because of his current behavior and how unsafe it would be for him to drive drunk or under the influence of drugs. They offered our youngest child the car instead. They had him stop down one evening to sign over the title and were going to transfer it the next day. They asked my husband to give them our truck (the youngest had been driving it) so they could use it as a trade-in to buy our oldest a car too. We refused as we do not belive it is in his best interests to have a car right now. They left a message on my husband's cell phone the next day that they had changed their mind about giving the car to our youngest. They were going to give it to our oldest in a few weeks. We were livid -- our son was hurt and wanted to know why they had chosen his brother over him. We haven't talked to my parents ever since. Is there someone out there who can give us some advice on how to deal with the destructive nature of my parents? I don't know how we can have a relationship with them or if we even want to try.

Comments (7)

Sponsored