Return to the Grandparents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

grandparents custudy

Posted by
j.l mull
( on
Wed, Sep 19, 01 at 15:52

i can;t see a life without my boys my daughter is on drugs she drinks 7 days a week i have had my boys from birth they are 5 & 12 years she hasnt helped support them ever! i cant go for child support;in fear the state will take from me and give them to her. my boys have diffrent fathers.she has had 2 husbonds a lot of shack-ups!! i love my boys so very much i cant see my life without them.with her they would go threw pure hell. i dont know what to do! the promises she makes to them are so many but she never goes threw with any of them! our laws have got to change somewhere.

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: grandparents custudy

I think you're wrong--if you're the one who's been supporting them, if she's as unfit as you say, it's very possible you could get legal custody. My sister and her boyfriend have been raising a couple of children who were abandoned by their parents about 6 years ago. Without legal custody or birth certificates, they've been able to register the kids for school AND to get them covered by the state health insurance for kids whose families can't afford it. Just took a little determination and fast talking on their part.

To be on the safe side, call your county bar association, explain your problem and ask to speak to a lawyer who is experienced in child custody cases and who might consider taking your case pro bono. Or, if you qualify, go to legal aid. I know a social worker who says it's easy to get actual custody in a case like this.

Good luck to you. They're lucky to have you looking out for them.

RE: grandparents custudy

Get in touch with AARP. They have a group that helps grandparents with grandchild problems. They just might be able to help you here. go to

good luck

RE: grandparents custudy

I agree with Barbara - we just got "temporary" custody of our 2 grandchildren - 3 and 5 - we had been pretty much raising them and when our daughter got her 6th DUI we said enough - the children's father has now moved back into the area and has not supported them for quite a while...supposedly he is trying to get his life together but he has a drug problem too. We found an attorney and both our daughter and her husband agreed that the children were better off with us now - of course, she vehemently disagrees now, but she will have to take us back to court in order to win back custody. The children are on medicaid and that was not a problem either....Good Luck, you shouldn't have a big problem winning this one.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Grandparents Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here