SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_m_gw

Gift Giving Idea for Grandparents

Melissa_M
21 years ago

Hello Grandparents: I would like to pass along a gift idea that my grandmother gave to me as a child. It is without a doubt, the BEST gift I have EVER recieved in my life. While past holiday, birthday and special occassion gifts have disappeared, been outgrown and forgetten, this gift still keeps giving to me and is appreciated more as each year goes by. My grandmother gave me the opportunity to produce and understand music. She gave me music lessons. When I was 8 years old she made a deal with me. She would allow me to choose a musical instrument that I would like to learn to play and she would pay for the music lessons as my Christmas and birthday gift from her. My Christmas gift to her was that for 1 year I would practice without being told and just do the best that I could at learning to play the instrument I chose. I will never forget the expression on her face the next year when I was able to play Silent Night for my family on Christmas Eve. She continued to offer me music lessons as my Christmas give for many years. My grandmother is long deceased and 41 years have past since she made that offer to me and I still play the accordion (the instrument I chose to learn to play) for my own pleasure. Every time I listen to music, attend a concert, hear a piece of music I struggled to learn to play, or hear another child practicing a musical instrument I instinctively see and hear the melody, notes and time signature prior to their being played and feel the fingering of both hands.
This Christmas season my husband and I will be visiting the little town that Silent Night was written for (Salzburg, NOT Bethlehem :+) and much to my husband's horror I will probably stroll down to that little music shop, down the Gasse from Mozart's birthplace and pick out and purchase a Styrische akkordion. I hope my grandmother is watching because I'll be playing Silent Night again for her where it first preimered. I'll probably also play the Danube Waltz as our cruise boat drifts on down to Vienna, city of the Waltz king.
I know this was not a cheap gift (my grandmother renewed this gift for MANY years), but it was a gift I will appreciate and benefit from 'til the day I die.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz