SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grammy_chris

Grandparents as Babysitters

grammy_chris
13 years ago

We have 3 children and soon to be 6 grandchildren. We love spending time with our grandkids, but our 33 year old daughter has relied on us more and more in recent years. She is a single mother with 2 children and a third on the way. The father is no help at all and they are not together at this time. She works, but money is tight. I watched her two children all summer, taking them to their activities and trying to think of ways to entertain them. In order to do this, I gave up 5 weeks of camping that my husband and I had planned. My husband and I have been taking the children to school and picking them up, to help her out since school started. Her children attend school in a nearby town and not in the district that we live in.(They live one block away from us) I am newly retired, and was looking forward to it. When my daughter first found out she was pregnant with her third child, she asked me to babysit. At the time, I said yes. This was before giving up my summer. I recently told her that I could not babysit full time, but would do it 3 days a week. She became very upset and said that we will never see her or the children again and left. I have no idea how she is getting the kids to and from school. I have been having trouble with severe arthritis in my knee and carnying a new baby with no one else around kind of scares me as my knee gives out occasionally. Am I doing the right thing by telling her no? My daughter and I were very close until this happened. I am hoping that it is pregnancy hormones talking and things will get resolved. Thank you for any advice you can give.

Comments (5)

Sponsored