Return to the Grandparents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
confused

Posted by grammy2000 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 27, 12 at 18:49

I am the grammy of 3 ... ages 12,8, and 6. We can't do anything for one without doing for the other two. I love them all dearly. There have been times when we asked if we could have the two oldest ones to go to an amusement park,, and were denied because it wouldn't be "fair". Not saying that we wouldn't have done something special with the youngest one at a different time. To furthur explain, one of us would have been at the kiddy rides with the youngest, and one with the two older ones at the more advanced rides. This was supposed to be a family outing, not split up. Does anyone else have issues like this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: confused

I read an article one time about grand parents having grandchildren over. It suggested you have one at a time so the two of you will really bond. If you bring all of them they just play together. I sounded great to me, but when the first 2 grand children came over I mentioned it to the mother and her reaction was the same as you experienced. I didn't follow through, but I wished I had. The children would realize their time would come and it would be special.

o
RE: confused

I read the same suggestion - take one kid at a time so that you can bond and give the kid undivided time -- and that was an advice given for the parents. The idea is that kids struggle for attention, who gets more, who gets less of it, who does mommy/daddy love more, etc. And the suggestion was for each parent to take one kid and spend one day/few hours once a month with that one kid only -- doing only things that kid likes, etc. Then rotate the kid/parent pair.

Short sum - revisit the idea with the parents. But be clear that you will do this every once a week/month for each kid.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Grandparents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here