Return to the Grandparents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Family Values for a new Generation

Posted by denora (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 16, 05 at 12:21

Hello,
I am a first time grandmother and new to this forum. I will be babysitting my granddaughter since my daughter and her husband both need to work. I feel fortunate and responsible for helping make sure that she grows up in a loving, well adjusted family because so many children do not have close family ties. I would be interested in having a forum on sharing family values. Anyone who has concerns or ideas about helping our newest generation grow up happy, healthy and well-adjusted no matter their family situation would be welcome. Any takers?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Family Values for a new Generation

One of the main things is to use common sense. Just because we did or did not do it does not make it right. As a senior, I choose not to baby sit much, for personal reasons.
There are books and magazines for grandparents for guidance. One thing i found, is to follow the parents rules and regulations. My daughter discouarges candy etc and encourages fruit and balance meals. They have to try a food once and not just a tiny bit. It has to be several bites. We limit TV, and encourage reading and games. We encourage reading programs at the library and pre-school. It is too hard to raise a child and then just put them into school without them learning to get along with people. I do not know how old your grandchild is, but playing with others are very important. Also schedules are important also. Taking children to museums, playgrounds, and other is good too.

o
RE: Family Values for a new Generation

Marie ND
My granddaughter is a mere 6 wks old. I plan to buy and keep educational toys and videos at my home. My daughter and son-in-law can indulge if they wish in their home. I raised my kids with educational toys, books, Mr. Rogers and Sesame Street, Zoo, museums, and friends. My daughter is on board with how I do things, but I have thus far told her she needs to do what she is comfortable doing in her home. We share the same values so I don't think there will be any problems. The grandchildren (this one and others to come) will simply know what is expected and accepted in my home. Thanks for your input. I hope others join in.
Denora

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Grandparents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here