SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nadastimer

Great Grandmother is discplining my son....

nadastimer
21 years ago

and I don't like it. My son is 3 and it's my grandmother who thinks she can do as she wants with him. It's every year at the county fair~this time of year~that I end up mad at her. Last night, DS started whining that he wanted this whistle thing from a game and we explained that we were done playing games for the night. He then got mad and threw a fit like a 3 year old occasionally will, hoping that you will bend and give in. We didn't. I said it was time to take him back to our tent (it's the last remaining tenting fair) and have him sit on a chair. If you get him out of the situation and get him calmed down, it's much better than standing there while he goes on a on until he calms down. My grandmother then tried to make matters better by holding on to him and saying stuff about bad little boys in his ear. This only makes him get more upset. I said it was time to go sit on a chair and right as she let go of him, she smacked his butt...out in the middle of the crowd! I didn't say anything at that moment because I didn't believe I saw what I did (I happened to catch her right as she was in the middle of the act) but my fiance', my son's father, said about it later. Last year the same stuff occured. She also tried grabbing his mouth and smacking it last year (he was just tired and whiny at that point) and I had to explain in a mean tone that she was not to do that down on the grounds. Another time I had him on time out and she's over there talking to him and making matters worse. I want her to butt out because she doesn't know our DS enough or our parenting skills. She also forgets what toddlers are like! She actually said that she wished he could talk better last year and the kid was only 2! Or he would get whiny and need a nap and she'd say that he's a spoiled little brat because he was whining! My child isn't perfect but he's not bad. He has his moments, as all kids do, and mostly it's when he's getting tired and had enough. He's at a stage where he's trying to push our buttons and seeing what he can get away with. I've stood my ground with him and take care of the situation but I dont' need someone else trying to help who's not around our son enough to know much about him. I also don't want her thinking she can slap him or smack his butt or anything...Am I wrong in my thinking? What can I say to get that message across and not be mean in her eyes?

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus