SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deb_pa

How do I discipline ......

deb_pa
20 years ago

and not hurt the child's feelings? Here's the situation. My son and DIL separated in Nov.. My son moved home and every weekend the two grandkids come here. They are 5 and 7. Because my son misses his kids so much he allows them anything and everything. If they fight, which they do about 50 times a day, he just tries to get them interested in something else. No matter when or what they want to eat he gives it to them. I think he feels that if he corrects them too much they won't want to come and see him, nothing could be further from the truth, they adore their Daddy. I have them this week for a little summer vacation and every time I try to correct them they get this big hurt look on their faces that breaks my heart. The fighting between them is the worst. Yesterday I told them if they fought one more time I would separate them for the day and they couldn't play together the rest of the day. It worked. No more fights all day. At bedtime, the 7 year old wanted a snack, she had already had 2 so I said "no". Tears, tears, tears. I sent her to bed anyway but felt terrible about it. What I am afraid of is if we are strict and Mommy isn't then as the kids get older they won't want to come for visits. I have seen this happen before, kids getting to be teenagers and only wanting to be with the parent that lets them run wild. How do I discipline without being a meany?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm