SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sentimentalnana

Lump In My Throat

sentimentalnana
13 years ago

I live an hour away from my two grandchildren, a girl aged 6, and a boy aged 2. I guess you could say I've planned my life around them. I have spent most every weekend with them, either here or at their house. My daughter and SIL want us to be close to the kids, and so they have shared them with us willingly. We even have their own rooms here, and enough clothes and toys that they never even have to pack a bag. My granddaughter will be starting 1st grade in a few weeks, and until recently, she alwways wanted to spend the weekend with us or have us come there. This summer I've seen a change in her and for the first time, she doesn't seem to care about spending time with Nana and Papa as much. She has always attended a private daycare, and since graduating kindegarten, she has joined the "bigger kids" in the gym during the day, and they've gone on a lot of excursions, etc. So she's been busy and may just want to be at home more now. Her baby brother, who will soon be three, is more of a playmate now, although they usually end up fighting after a minute or two. Also, her father has worked out of town a good bit this last year, which has caused her to not want to leave Dad as often, it seems. Anyway, I have felt sad this week as I have contemplated these things. Even though I know that things in life change, this seemed to happen so fast, and I didn't expect her to go through this stage until she was much older. She and I have been so very close and she has wanted Nana above everyone else a lot of times. I guess my feelings are a little bit hurt, but I don't want to guilt my daughter or SIL, or especially her. Because she was the first, naturally, I've spent more time with her. And being a girl, we've spent countless hours pretending, baking, polishing toenails, playing dress-up, you name it! When my grandson was born, she would stay with us a lot to help out Mom and Dad. When he was around 6 months old, we started alternating their visits so we could spend time with him. Because he has an older sibling, and being a boy, he is already a little more independent than she was at his age. But I plan on spending as much time with him as possible as long as he wants to. Have any of you other grandparents gone through a similar situation? Or am I being rediculous?

Comments (6)

Sponsored