SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cellarand

Question for grandmothers(a little long)

cellarand
21 years ago

Hello,New here and seeking some advice.My mother,grandmother to two grandkids,my daughter and my sisters son seems to treat our kids different.My sisters son has the best grandmother in the world my mom.She watches him all the time,he stays the night with her she buys gifts of love all the time for him and hugs and loves on him and showers him with attention.My daughter 2 years younger has a terrible grandmother in the world my mom.She has never offered to keep her and when I ask if she would like to she says she is busy and cant.My daughter has never spent the night with her.My sister and I lived only a mile apart so distance wasnt the problem.I plan visits a week in advance to bring my daughter to get to know her only to find notes on the door that she is sorry she forgot to tell me something came up.Me and my sister have been shopping with my mom with the kids and my mom has the nerve to pick up a toy for my sisters son and nothing for my daughter right in front of us.My sister and I both have simular incomes so money is not the issue.Its very hurtful at times.Even birthdays are like that.At his birthday he is treated well by grandmom with her supplying the party and cake,at my daughters birthday he is treated well again with a toy or two so he dont feel left out while my daughter has never recieved a cake or party by her or has never been bought a gift on his birthday.When we do get together its all him and she is constantly yelling at my daughter to stop doing that or this but when he does the same thing it is ohh leave him alone he is just a kid.At all the holidays its her who buys the costumes for halloween and easter baskets for him only.Again money in both households are simular so that shouldnt be the issue.My younger sister who doesnt have kids has noticed this behavoir as well,and we have talked about it.My sister with the son and I are close I dont think she even knows that It bothers me so much,but she is so super sensative to talk to I havent talked to her about it.My mom and I were never that close growing up so talking to her about it is impossible.My daughter is now at the age where she is going to start noticing it,How can I explain it to her and how can I tell my mom how this makes me feel?Sorry for the long post but I feel better talking about it.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler