Return to the Grandparents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
MIL rude to granddaughter

Posted by SAG1 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 12, 02 at 16:20

My niece went over to her grandmother's house and came back crying after spending the night. She said Grandma yelled at her constantly for such things like sleeping on the flat sheet, drinking a glass of milk in a plastic cup rather than a glass, and changing the channel of the news station. I am sure she is telling the truth (she is ten) and I always sensed my mother does not like her. She favors the grandsons. She even threw a cheap barrette from the dollar store at my niece and said, Happy birthday, and laughed. How should I handle this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: MIL rude to granddaughter

Remember that a child's definition of "yelling" may not be the same as ours.

About all you can do is try to explain that some people just don't act very nice sometimes. It's one of those lessons of life that we all need to learn early. AND, we can't do much about them, so we have to learn to ignore and not let it hurt us.

I know there is the temptation to speak to Grandma, but I think it would make matters worse. It certainly wouldn't make her feel or act better towards the child.

It's a shame that she is like that and favors the grandsons, but I doubt if anything you say or do will change her.

o
RE: MIL rude to granddaughter

This brought up memories of my own childhood...I guess something like that won't warp a child forever...it didn't me, but I "do" still retain the memories...and I'll tell you true...none of "my" grandchildren are going to have memories like that of me. I was sixty years old before I realized the old woman we used to call, "Ma Harry" was my great-grandmother! One of my cousin's asked me who I "thought" she was (I was about ten or twelve when she died). I said, "I thought she was some old woman who didn't like me." I don't ever remember a kind look or smile..let alone a hug. She was a mean old bag, but I don't think it warped me for having experienced it. You should talk to your niece about it..and maybe joke about it a little...and be very kind to her yourself...children of that age "do" remember what goes on around them. Yep..brought back memories....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Grandparents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here