SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tlescak

Grandparents' Dogs!

tlescak
21 years ago

My wife and myself have a 4 month old and an 8 year old.

We live in the same town as my parents.

Ever since we had the baby my wife has been very hesitant to visit my parents' house.

The reason is that my parents have three medium sized dogs, one being a Rottwieler (although an unusually timid and small Rottweiler).

My parent let these dogs live in the house with them, the dogs sleep in their bed, beg scraps from the table and lounge on the same furniture you sit on when you visit.

Whenever we visit, there is nowhere to set the baby down that is not accessible to the dogs other than the kitchen and dining room tables both made of glass.

So the only place to go is a guest bedroom where we can close the doors so that the dogs can't get to the baby.

My parents won't close the dogs up in that room or put them outside because they scratch incessantly at the door.

They also will not make a pen for them to go into or leash them because they say this is "cruel".

Needless to say, the dogs make our visits aggravating and uncomfortable.

We have talked to them and they seem pretty unwilling to do anything about the dog problem. They don't really see a problem and say they'll just have to visit us at our house.

But they never come over and I think secretly they are hurt that we don't come to their house often.

My wife says that she won't leave the baby at my mother's house until our son is big enough to defend himself from a dog.

My parents' dogs are sweet dogs, I really don't think they would ever bite, but don't the majority of people who get bit by their dogs always say "That dog NEVER did anything like that!".

I think any chance of our baby being bit is an unacceptable risk.

They are welcome to babysit at our house and visit whenever they please. And we do see them occasionally at their house when we're in a mood to fight the dogs.

Are we wrong for not wanting to leave the baby with them to babysit at their house?

Comments (21)

Sponsored