Return to the Grandparents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How would you handle this situation?

Posted by phoggie (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 1, 08 at 12:26

It is summer time again. The grandkids all like to come to grandma's.....but although I love to have the grand-daughter, those loud, rowdy boys are just too much for me to handle anymore. I have severe arthritis and am so limited as to what I can do to keep them occupied....and then "eating" is another subject....how many times can I serve pizza and mac and cheese???? But the little girl is such a loving, sweet, quiet little girly-girl that I'd love to have her.......but how can I justify with the boys and the parents only having one come stay with me?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How would you handle this situation?

I don't think you should have the girl, and not include the boys.
Are you talking about a weeks-long visit, or days, or...?
I don't think you should feel like you have to do anything to keep them occupied -- I would just have your son (or daughter) explain to them about your arthritis, and how you won't be climbing trees with them, or anything like that...surely they won't expect you to entertain them.

If you feel like you can't even face that, I wouldn't have the granddaughter, either. That's just my opinion; I wouldn't take her, if I could not take the boys.

On the other hand, I would want to keep a relationship with them. Perhaps they could all visit when their parents are there, so you don't have to rein them in. I would still want to see them.

o

I know that there were a few occasions when my parents bought me and the other kids over to visit my grandma for a few hours, I spent the night without them all, and then the next day, my parents brought the other kids to visit some more when they picked me up. Could you do something like that? If the boys are really rowdy, they may think that a longer visit is "boring," while to the girl, the longer visit may be "special." So it would be a win-win.

Another option might be to have each child visit one at a time. Kids sometimes feed off of each other's energy, so the boys might be easier to handle if they aren't in a group. The boys might reveal a gentler, quieter side of themselves if they don't have their brothers around to egg them on.

o

How about having them one at a time, I have 13 grandchildren from 4years to adults and 2 greats. I know my limits and I find even the most active can be a joy if they have alone time
with us

o

Hi
I agree, having one without the others at the same time could cause hard feelings. The suggestion above is nice..try different times. However, perhaps it's time to discuss the rowdy boys with their parents? It can be done lovingly...course it could turn bad too...I've learned you never know just how cruel your grown children can be until you open your mouth. Be careful on this one...I wish you good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Grandparents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here