Return to the Grandparents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grandparents and discipline?

Posted by phoggie (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 1, 08 at 12:13

How much discipline do you administer to your grandchildren? Do you correct them even if their parents are in the same room? The just don't seem to get "naughty chair"....what they need is a swift swat on the behind to get their attention... I am sure we all got it and are no worse for it. I really think that our school systems went to h--- when they took away the right to discipline...if it was done in fairness and without anger.

I was a school secretary for many years and I well remember even the senior boys getting swats from the Principal....they never had to come in there again and still remember it to this day and say it was well deserved~~ Spare the rod and spoil the child~~

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grandparents and discipline?

I only "swatted" one of my 13 grandchildren and it was because he ran across the street in front of a car down town and scared me badly. I told him he was almost road pizza. They introduced me to that description, so I knew he would relate to it. All of my grandchildren were very well behaved at my home, only had to discipline them one time for running in the house and slamming doors. If I were to raise another child I would never lay a hand on the child, because I think we teach them to hit by hitting them.

o

I have never swatted or spanked any of my grandchildren. I give their parents ample time to correct the kids, and if they don't, I usually "suggest" something in a calm voice.

If I could go back and raise my children again, I wouldn't spank them, and I certainly wouldn't let anyone else, including the school, hit my child.

o

I do not believe in spanking. I did not do it to my son and I would not do it to my 2-1/2 year old granddaughter. And believe me, she pushes me to the limit!! I think verbal corrections work much better, but they take more self-control on our part.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Grandparents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here