SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
taoofterri

Starting to Feel Resentful

taoofterri
16 years ago

I don't quite know how to start this. We have 6 grandkids. We have 2 sons. Each of them have 3 children. One son lives on the east coast, one in the west. We are in the middle in Arkansas. The only contact we have with our grandkids is what we initiate. Every year, we choose between families for holidays and vacations. We spend all of our disposable income and free time traveling to both sides of the country each year. Our sons and their wives make no effort at all to make the trip, even once a year. My husband and I are both so frustrated because we don't ever spend any vacations by or for ourselves. We are always planning the trip to see the grandkids or planning where we can take them.

Even with the once or twice a year visits, I feel disconnected from my grandkids and resentful of my sons and daughters-in-law for not making any effort.

I want so much to just be able to take a vacation with my husband and not feel guilty that we didn't include our grandkids. We are considering NOT making a choice this holiday season and taking a two week vacation to Florida... just the two of us.

I need two things:

1. Please tell me I am not being selfish.

2. How do other grandparents feel connected when their grandkids live so far away?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus