SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rave_gw

Grandmother not treating GKids equally? why?

Rave
21 years ago

I have 3 stepdaughters and my DH and I have a son (5) and a daughter (2) together. My MIL doesn't like me, but she never liked DH's first wife either. In fact, she hasn't liked any woman whom he has ever dated.

Anyhow, outwardly, she treats our kids well. We live 1500 miles from her. 2 stepdaughters live in the same town she lives in, 1 lives with us. She has plenty of cash and lives right next to an outlet mall where there are kid's books and toys at really good prices.

Last Christmas, we decided not to exchange gifts with adults, only the kids. My MIL bought my middle stepdaughter (18) a treadmill. She took my youngest stepdaughter (14) who went there to visit, on a shopping spree and bought her a ton of clothes. She sent my husband gifts, even tho we had agreed not to, and didn't even send me a card. But what hurt the worst was that she didn't send our kids anything. She said it was because she wanted to be there when they opened their gifts to see their faces. Well, we just returned from visiting her for a week and spending $1500 in airfare and hotel bills so she could see the kids (as she had been demanding) in her own town, and she didn't give them anything!!! She greeted each of them with a helium balloon at the airport and that was it.

She has bought my stepkids cars, clothes, I mean the list goes on and on. She buys our kids the smallest, most insulting gifts, if she buys them anything at all.

What is up with this? We've been married 8 1/2 years. Why would she treat our kids this way? It pisses me off, but my mother says not to say anything. Our kids can decide if they appreciate her behavior or not as they grow.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio