SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grammyterri_gw

Grandparents role in children's lives

grammyterri
14 years ago

I hope there are some parents out there that could help me understand this. My husband and I have taken care of our 7 year old Grandson 3 days a week for the past 7 years. We love him dearly and he loves to spend time with us. Recently our daughter-in-law decided she wanted a divorce from my son. They went to counciling to no avail. She moved out of town into her own apartment and split custody with our son. Now with school out they decided he would change schools next year and go to daycare during the summer. They will only allow him to stay with us 1 day a week during the summer instead of the 3 he always stayed previously and once school starts they will let him stay with us on a week-end here and there. We told our son that we thought this was a lot of changes for a little boy to go through all at once. Pending divorce is hard enough. He cries at my hosue and asks why he can't stay with us like he always has. We just tell him that we love hin but his parents make decisions for him and we will let him stay with us as much as they allow him to. We are broken hearted that this is happening but our son just says that they think he is shy and daycare would help. He did admit that his wife is jealous of the relationship we have with our Grandson and my relationship with my son. She doesn't have a relationship with her own family. She lived with us prior to her marriage to our son and we have always treated her as part of our family. Our son is trying to stay away from us and keep our Grandson from us to make her happy in the hopes she won't divorce him. We don't understand any of this. Can someone out there help me understand where she may be coming from?

Comments (4)

Sponsored