Return to the Grandparents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I Don't Like the Name

Posted by Pagefan (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 3, 13 at 10:18

A child's name is important to me and I tend to prefer traditional names. my kids have traditional names that have a special meaning to me. I know there is a trend to unusal modern names that I generally don't like. To me, they ar more sounds than names. My son and daughter in law have picked a name that I really don't like. Without being specific, it sounds like a body organ and it's shortened form is just dumb. I've never heard of anyone with this name in my life. Yet for the middle name, they picked the maternal grandmothers name which is VERY old fashioned and beautiful. They asked me if i liked the name, and I don't think I hid my feelings very well. I know this is a very personal decision and I am not meddlesome. When they asked me if I liked the name, I said that I was going to love this baby very much no matter what the name was. My wife agrees it is an awful name and said that hopefully, they'll change their minds before the baby is born. I wish I could or should say something, but it is a very sensitive issue.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I Don't Like the Name

Would love to know the name..............LOL You have to be very careful when you name a child. It can be used to torment the child when he gets in school. If I had been a man I would have changed the spelling of my maiden name, but marriage takes of that problem for a woman. I like simple names easy to spell so they don't go through life spelling their name.

o

I've spoken to people who've asked my opinion about names. I've advised them to consider how the kids might use the name to make fun. I also tell them to consider what the child will be called for short. I also tell them to consider if the child becomes a brain surgeon, will the name be appropriate. We tend to give cutesy juvenile names and forget that this kid is going to be a mature adult someday, God willing. My kids didn't ask me my opinion. They asked if i liked it. I told them if that's the name the y picked, it really didn't matter whether I liked it or not. But, it would never change the way i feel about my grandchild.

o

I've spoken to people who've asked my opinion about names. I've advised them to consider how the kids might use the name to make fun. I also tell them to consider what the child will be called for short. I also tell them to consider if the child becomes a brain surgeon, will the name be appropriate. We tend to give cutesy juvenile names and forget that this kid is going to be a mature adult someday, God willing. My kids didn't ask me my opinion. They asked if i liked it. I told them if that's the name the y picked, it really didn't matter whether I liked it or not. But, it would never change the way i feel about my grandchild.

o

Not your child, not your choice. You had the opportunity to pick names for your own children. Now your children have the same right. Leave it alone.

o

I'm so curious to know the name! I can only guess that it's something along the lines of Enis, Colon, or Hippocampus.

Awkward situation. If it were me, i would buy them a book of baby names as a gift, say "when you asked what I thought of the name you seemed a little unsure" ;)

o

At least the middle name is traditional. If this child is ridiculed then he/she can always use the middle name.
I also don't understand when a baby is given a name but they attach a nickname to the baby immediately.
For example, the baby is legally named Margaret, but they are calling her Molly. To me, a nickname evolves for whatever reason, but i guess I could be wrong with this.

o

"I also don't understand when a baby is given a name but they attach a nickname to the baby immediately. "

Certain religions have requirements about names. For example, Catholics must baptize their children with a saint's name. The second name can be anything they like, but there has to be a saint's name in there.

So parents might want to call their child Molly, but have to name her Margaret to fulfill the tenants of their religion.

Or, the parents know that a longer name will be shortened, and they announce the nickname they prefer ahead of time. Margaret, for example, could be Marge, Meg, Peg, Maggie, or Peggy. The parents want Meg and absolutely can't stand the sound of Peg, so they announce that is the nickname.

As for the OP, I agree with suzieque. You got to name your kids what you wanted. Your kids get to name their kids what they want. Although they did put you on the spot some by asking how you liked the name. People shouldn't ask that type of question unless they are prepared for people to answer that they don't like it very much.

o

A person's self-image & a great degree of his/her happiness comes from the words he or she is called;
it's just too important to not call a parent's attention to the potential for teasing & ridicule.

(Years ago, on the "Cheers" tv show, Carla was expecting, & she was in a terrible dither about the baby's name.

Her family's ironclad tradition was that the baby's name was to be something like paternal grandfather's first name & maternal grandmother's maiden name.

Well, paternal grandfather's first name was Benito.
& maternal grandmother's maiden name was...Mussolini.)

I would definitely call their attention to the 'body part' aspect;
it's very possible that they like the way the written name looks, & they just haven't realized the potential problem.

I always think you can't go wrong with Bible names & the names of English kings & queens.

with a few caveats.

I wouldn't name a child Ethelred.
or Onan...

The formula I always heard was to imagine your child's name being called in different circumstances.

"Ola May Figgerty, you come back in this house & go back out that door wthout slamming it!"

"Mr President, Honored Members of Congress, Ladies & Gentlemen, may I present the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, The Honorable Ola May Figgerty."

I wish you the best.

o

It really is out of your hands, but since they asked, you can always tell them your concerns and then say "but it's your child." Hopefully they'll take your concerns into consideration. They must already know you don't like it because they asked and you said everything but yes. And finally, once this child is born and starts growing there will be so many other things to worry about that a name won't even matter any more.

o

As a 6 times grandmother we have all types of names. I named my son after his father who was named after his dad and my grandson is named after all of them. Very confusing and I would never do it again. My 17 year old granddaughter was named after her great grandmothers. I disliked the name as I thought it was too old for her but she grew into the names. She is very much her own person and the name just fits. My other grandchildren also have family names too. I love them all they are all special people like their names.
Mary

o

One of my grandchildren is named Jessamy. Another one, a girl is named Hollis. And a grandson named Morley. I didn't like these names.

Now I think they are awesome names. Wouldn't change them for anything and think my kids are brilliant for coming up with them.

o

This too shall pass. You let them know you don't like it (only after they asked you pointedly if you did). If it's that bizarre of a name, surely you won't be the only person they encounter who feels the same. And some may speak up about it. They may just be very committed to that name at all cost. But when all is said and done, it's their choice. Congratulations on the impending new arrival!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Grandparents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here