SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nikoclaw

Grandpa/granddaughter Bonding

nikoclaw
21 years ago

My grandaughter, Amy, son-in-law, and daughter live with my wife and I. I am Amy's grandfather. Amy is 14-months old and idolizes her grandpa (Papa) more than anyone else, except her mom. When I come home from work, Amy is waiting for Papa to spend time with her. I do spend a lot of time playing with her, reading to her and showing her new things around the yard and house.

My problem is this...I feel very bad for Amy's Dad as Amy perfers to be with me over her Dad. It's very difficult for me to see Amy cry if her Dad tries to hold her when I am around. She wants to come to me. If I'm not around Amy has no problem playing with Dad. Her Dad does spend quality time with her, but there seems to be a "bonding magic" between her and I that escapes her Dad. What, if anything, should I do. Should I somehow back-off (out of site, out of mind)when Dad is around? Is this strong bond between Amy and I good for Amy? By the way Amy also seems to reject her Grandma when I am present. Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Bill

Comments (4)

Sponsored