SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilovepink_gw

Hurt by my in-laws.

ilovepink
13 years ago

This is such a long story. I have a 2 and a half year old. Since the day our child was born my in-laws have been the type of grandparents that will offer to babysitte on say a Tuesday at six p.m. for noon the next day. I don't know about most mothers but I have my weeks planned in advance. I have come to rely on a nanny for our help which has been fine. My in-laws apparently have been upset about this. My MIL will send emails saying she wants to take our child for the day and get her out of our house from her comfort zone. Our daughter doesn't know her grandparents because when they do visit they will visit maybe once a month (if that) for an hour or two at most. They are retired and very busy and we respect that. But, I am not going to ask them to take our child to their house for a day or weekend when they don't even have a crib or play pen at their house. It's kind of an odd situation.

Recently three people in our family have let us know that my MIL has been talking about us. Mostly me. She has been painting me as a horrible DIL and mother. She has made it sound that we keep our child from them. It's been really nasty. It started when we didn't see them for Easter b/c we had company in town. My MIL would not let it go and I finally confronted her and wanted to know why in the past when they had not been in town for Easter that was okay. They didn't even call us on Easter one year. My inlaws seem for themost part to think that we should be there when they want us. But, if they are busy it's okay.

My husband talked to his parents. Even said to his parents they need to stop talking about us all behind our backs.

Well, I guess they didn't take him seriously. I am mostly upset b/c over the last few years I have hosted parties in their honor in my home, we have done things as a family and all to find out that the entire time my MIL and FIL were saying nasty things behind our backs. It is the ultimate in back stabbing.

I don't know what to do. I don't really want to be around them now. I feel like i can't win for losing. My in-laws have made it awkward to be around other family b/c I feel like a fool standing there being nice to my in-laws given everyone knows that they apparently have issues with me.

and I certainly am not going to invite them now to keep our child. If they will talk about us to other family members (my husbands brother, brothers wife, aunts, uncles, cousins) then it's only a matter of time before they start this mess with our child (children.)

I feel for my husband because he feels disrespected. I don't like fighting. But, I am really tired of being walked all over and treated like this.

Any advice?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor