Return to the Grandparents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
They always come back

Posted by bobsyouruncle99 (My Page) on
Fri, May 21, 10 at 13:13

My 42 year old daughter and her 8 year old son have been living with me for over 5 years now. The problems since they move in and even now are numerous, but one concern for me is the freedom she gives her son. She seems to be trying to be his friend instead of a parent. She tells him its time to get ready for bed at 8:30 then she disappears to her room. Mean while, he just continues on with what he's doing. When he finally does go up stairs it's 9:30 or 10 o'clock. She then feel as it's time to play a game or read. Last night he didn't get into bed until 10:30. He wakes up tired in the morning.
He doesnt eat until 8 oclock at night. That last thing he had to eat was lunch at school at 12 noon, so he fills up on ice cream or yogurt until dinner.
When I mention these discrepancies, she gets offended, puts me down, and then tells me what a great parent she is.
Currently she is more interested in finding dates and talking on the phone, which she is on most hours of the day. She doesnt work and I support them both on my retirement.
If it wasnt for my Grandson, I would have kicked her out years ago.

My question: Am I being old fashion or doesnt my daughter really know what it means to be a parent? Should I just keep my mouth shut and let what happens, happen?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: They always come back

Your house, your rules. She is a child. Tell her bedtime, get a job etc. You take control of the boy. She will either grow up or move out. When and if she moves out, make sure the child is protected. Give her no money. Restrict the phone it you have to unplug it and hide it. You are allowing her to control you thru her son, and if you are paying all the bills, including medical it is only going to get worst. Make sure you hide any credit cards and checks so she will not forge your name. Insist that she take parenting courses. It is called tough love and believe me I know.
I would not put up with it. I am asuming there is no husband.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Grandparents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here