SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bobsyouruncle99

They always come back

bobsyouruncle99
13 years ago

My 42 year old daughter and her 8 year old son have been living with me for over 5 years now. The problems since they move in and even now are numerous, but one concern for me is the freedom she gives her son. She seems to be trying to be his friend instead of a parent. She tells him its time to get ready for bed at 8:30 then she disappears to her room. Mean while, he just continues on with what he's doing. When he finally does go up stairs it's 9:30 or 10 o'clock. She then feel as it's time to play a game or read. Last night he didn't get into bed until 10:30. He wakes up tired in the morning.

He doesnÂt eat until 8 oÂclock at night. That last thing he had to eat was lunch at school at 12 noon, so he fills up on ice cream or yogurt until dinner.

When I mention these discrepancies, she gets offended, puts me down, and then tells me what a great parent she is.

Currently she is more interested in finding dates and talking on the phone, which she is on most hours of the day. She doesnÂt work and I support them both on my retirement.

If it wasnÂt for my Grandson, I would have kicked her out years ago.

My question: Am I being old fashion or doesnÂt my daughter really know what it means to be a parent? Should I just keep my mouth shut and let what happens, happen?

Comment (1)

Sponsored