Return to the Grandparents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grandpa visiting soon

Posted by mary11 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 8, 05 at 17:34

My dad is 85. I was a late-born baby (age 45), the youngest of three (my oldest brother is 63). My son is 9 years old, and tries very hard to engage grandpa in anything. My dad will die soon and I would like to bring them together somehow. Grandpa is in good shape intellectually, but has had many physical problems. Grandma has advanced alzheimers. Grandpa is in independent living, grandma in lock-down in Arizona. Grandpa was never a hand-on dad when I was growing up, my mom did that. He is from europe and the old school. I would like them to know each other in some special way, because I do not think my dad will live much longer. He is interested in his grandchild and asks about him, but does not want to play with him or interact with him much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grandpa visiting soon

My Grandmother died when I was 5. It seemed she was always sick. But other than the memories of her in bed, I remember her sitting on a straight backed chair in the back yard, playing X's & O's with me, with pencil and paper. It wasn't alot but it was enough to leave me with a fine memory.

Laurelann

o
RE: Grandpa visiting soon

It may be tough to get Grandpa to engage real well ,if it's not been in his nature. Can the three of you play little games, such as cards,etc. Just something to spend some time with each other. Are there any chores or something your son could do for his Grandfather? I know what you mean about "from the old school". You can't make them do anything they don't want. Sorry not to be of any help.

o
Grandpa visiting soon

Foggy, It would be nice if I could get him to engage because he does complain of loneliness and he misses my mom terribly. Although he visits her every day, she is not there anymore. Most all of his friends have passed on, and he is a quiet, stoic person by nature. He never had any close intimate men friends, did not golf or anything like that. My son is at the age where he is still interested in Grandpa, but he is starting to give up. It's sad, but I guess it is what it is. However, Grandpa is a baseball nut and Jack is in little league this year (the worst team in the league, LOL :) Maybe I can get Grandpa to sit at a game or two with his crossword puzzles to watch? Although, he will probably get upset as Jack is not athletic like Grandpa was in his youth... PS Laurel, my grandma lived with us for many years and she was crippled, couldn't walk. But I do remember sitting on her lap (even at 12, but she was a big lady with a big heart). We would peel apples sprinkle with cinnamon and then eat them together. You are right, sometimes it's the little things you remember the most.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Grandparents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here