SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tmlc_gw

Grandparents are weird

tmlc
16 years ago

I have a problem or maybe I just need to vent. My inlaws sent our kids, thier only grandchildren, 5 dollars for their birthdays. I know it's petty, but what the heck, only 5 dollars? It was a 13th and a 21st birthday, both special birthdays and they sent them only 5 dollars. Normally it's only 10 dollars. They do not approve of the 21 year old because she lives with her boyfriend. I don't approve of it either, but I still want her to know that I am here for her. I was raised that no matter how mad you get, you still show love and support.

The 13 year old has questioned why they dont' mail him cards for holidays. My parents did before they died, but my inlaws have never done anything to try to build a relationship, and then they act surprised because the kids haven't wanted a lot to do with them. We don't live close, but my inlaws would rather drive 12 hours to their other child's house than 6 hours to our house. They act like we are suppose to always spend our vacation going to see them.

I so badly want to tell them that I am ashamed and disappointed in them. How dare they send 5 dollars, it was like a slap in the face to both of them. Both of them said what is wrong with them?

I think the hardest thing I am dealing with is IF my parents had of been alive, they always made a big deal out of special year birthdays, and even on their limited income, they would have done something special. Instead my inlaws did special by reducing the birthday money to 5 dollars. I would have never dreamed that they could have stooped so low. It would have been better if they had of just ignored it as they did the 21 year old last year, she got nothing last year from them.

We've been married almost 23 years and I've never understood them or liked them very much and now this. I have no desire to see them or talk to them anymore. I know petty petty, but why insult them on their birthdays?

Comments (19)

Sponsored