Return to the Grandparents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mean grandmothers

Posted by SAG1 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 27, 02 at 14:52

Has anyone had a mean grandmother? My friend Kathy did, she was a vicious gossip and screamed at them because they would not eat beef brisket. She died lonely in a nursing home.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mean grandmothers

Yes, there are mean grandmothers. also there are mean mothers, fathers, sisters and brothers. And some of them will died lonely in a nursing home. In fact, most, not all, people in nursing homes die lonely.

Your friend, Kathy, may even have had a mean streak.

Beef Brisket can be very good. Kathy may have missed a treat/

o

There are mean kids too!!
Linda C

o

When you typed the word mean, yes i can relate. My grandmother died 4 years ago, and she was a pistol if I have ever saw one! She was very ill-tempered, but could be the most loving person around. She had a tendency to play favorites, but I loved her anyhow. :) She also had a tendency to be verbally and physically abusive, even at 87!
A spitfire for sure. Yes, their are mean grandparents out there, but there are also loving and kind grandparents out there also. In fact, I know a woman who "adopts" kids that she calls her "grandkids". :) Such a nice and decent person in my book. Anyhow, yes i do know the meaning of a mean grandmother. Sincerely, Danalynne

o

LOL, I bet if you asked my 7 year old grandson, he would say that I am ONE MEAN GRAMMA. He does not behave well, is a bully to his brother (who is actually 2 years older but built smaller)and just out and out disrespectful. I don't let him get away with it. I watch DGK's during summer break and I am sure he can't wait for school to start again. I do yell because otherwise he tunes me out, I put him in the corner for bad behavior. (never spank) I know he thinks I am mean, and maybe I am but I will not put up with any of his bad attitude.

o

Cinderella, I'd bet your grandson appreciates discipline even if he doesn't show it right now. I have never seen a happy brat. Kids need limits and it does show that you care when you insist on good behavior, especially if you discipline with love.

o

I had a great grandmother...that I didn't realize "was" my grandmother until I was in my sixties. I mean...truly...it never dawned on me that she was my greatgrandmother. My cousin asked me, "Who did you think she was?" And I said, "Some mean old woman who didn't like me." "My" grandkids are "never" going to think that about me...I'm going to make sure of that!

o

I think of my step-mother as my children's "mean" grandmother. In the 5 years that I've known her, more of her true character shows through. She's so jealous of me and my children that she just isn't really all that nice. Since she insists on being "grama" to my kids, I'm sure that I'll have to deal with it one of these days. So far, the kids have had enough distance from her that they don't know what she's truly like.

o

Your post reminds me of the time when I was a young girl and there was something in the newpaper about "abandoned elderly". My Mom told me that people didn't become nicer just because they got old. If they were awful when they were young, they would be awful when they got old and that was no reason people had to be nice to them. I always remembered that. By the way, Mom was never in a nursing home even tho strokes took her mind about six years before she died. She was a peach and loved.

o

my pop was mean not only to his kids but there was like 20 of us grandkids he was mean as a snake my dad who isnt much taller than i am( pop was 6'3 to 6'6 i cant remember) was screaming at my gram (my moms mom) and finally dad had enough he popped him hard and told him if he wanted to bully someone do it to him and not susie(my gram) he never ever touched her again! both of my grandmothers were fabulous! it was just pop that was so mean! his son is just like him. my dad loved my gram he bought her a trailer and put it on our land and took care of her until the day she died. my step kids loved her if you lost them lol thats where they would be. i wish my nanna my dads mom would have lived that long! god i miss them so much!

o

My grandparents were very old when I was very young so didn't have much of a relationship with them. But There were no mean people in my family. I wanted to comment on being lonely in a care home. You need to look at another side of it. If I need a care home, barring a stroke I will put myself there when I can no longer care for myself. I am a loner by choice now and will be alone in a care home...BUT that does not mean "lonely". I am not a joiner will not join in activities such as crafts. I would attend if speakers were invited or if there were musicals. People will look at me and say "poor lonely old woman", what they won't know is that I will prefer to be a lone and I will not be lonely. The only thing I would need is someone I trust to see that I am cared for properly.

o

My grandmother hit me because I had closed my door and it made a little noise and and then gets mad at me because i fixed and helped her with her iphone and she did not even say thank you I hate her so much ughhh

o

My grandmother is a crazy women and I hate her so much. She called me ugly one time because I'm black when she is black aswell. She has favourites and those favourite are my sister and my cousin because they are much lighter than I'am. She is also very mean to my foster sisters and doesn't care what she says and who she hurts in the process. I just wish that one day I would never have to see her again. lol

o

Kenisha - haave no fear, that day will come. I suggest you make peace with her now.

o

My grandma Suzie was the sweetest woman ever. If I can give my grandchildren just half the good memories that she gave to me, I will be proud.

I am not sure how anyone who is in a "nursing home" can be anything but lonely and sad. I can not explain the sadness I felt for my mother during the one month that she was in a rehab/nursing home. It was the only time in her life that she was not in her own home and I know she was scared. It still breaks my heart when I remember the lost look on her face.

o

My grandma Suzie was the sweetest woman ever. If I can give my grandchildren just half the good memories that she gave to me, I will be proud.

I am not sure how anyone who is in a "nursing home" can be anything but lonely and sad. During the one month that Mom was in a rehab/nursing home was the only time in her life that she was not in her own home. I know she was scared. It still breaks my heart when I remember the lost look on her face.
She was never mean to anyone but I could tell that she was bewildered because she had said before "if one momma can take care of six kids, why can't six kids take care of one momma.

o

The only grandmother I ever knew was the best human being anyone could find. Her husband, however, was, um, that other word for a donkey. When I was 11 years old, he told me he was going to pull me out of private school & put me in public school, so I can be raped & beaten by all the black boys (he never used the word "black" though). He said I needed to learn a lesson before I get out of hand when I get older & that he was going to make sure all of that will happen He was forbidden to come anywhere around me after that. The times were it was unavoidable, my dad had his pistol in his hand the whole time. On another note, that was about the only parenting I got from my dad.

o

I think some people are mean because they have been allowed to be mean. My sister in law is married to a mean man. No one calls him on it. His family has allowed him to be mean and use word the n work and other racial slurs. He is a terrible man, he is driving his 50 year old son to suicide which hasn't happened yet. He has been allowed to be what he is.

They excuse him by saying, "Oh, that's just Dad.

This post was edited by EmmaR on Sun, Mar 3, 13 at 0:42

o

EmmaR, I agree with you that some people are mean because they've been allowed to be. I have an extended family member who is that way, and everyone lets it go. I think if everyone banded together and refused to tolerate it, he'd stop.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Grandparents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here