Return to the Grandparents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Whats in a name?

Posted by carters5 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 30, 06 at 11:36

The day will soon arrive, probably in the next few years that I will be a TRUE grandparent, not one just to their dogs...I am desperately searching for names for my husband and I to be called by our grandchildren because we are not your typical grandparents. The names of Grandma-Grandpa, Grammy-Pops, Mamaw-Papaw, come on now. Can't we come up with something a little more contemporary? I absolutely adore children and mine in particular, and wanted to be lovingly named, but just can't reconcile with gram-gramps. My parents are Nan and Grandad, which suits them perfectly, so I can't use those, and I have searched foreign grandparents names, but still can't find something loving and yet fun and young. I would like to get it settled now so that when the grandkids do start, they will use the names I have chosen. I am not being selfish, I just don't want to be a regular GRANDMA. Can anyone relate? No offense to all of the grandmas out there. Any suggestions? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Whats in a name?

i know a lady whos grandkids call her Nonny

o

Oh, Oh! You are not a grandparent, and not a typical grandparent? What does that mean?

o

WELL, I HAD "PLANNED" FOR MY NEW GRANDSON TO CALL ME "GRAMMY". NEEDLESS TO SAY, THE FIRST TIME HE CAME RUNNING DOWN THE HALL IN MY HOUSE WITH HIS ARMS STRETCHED UP TO ME AND YELLED "MIMI", MY HEART WAS LOST! SO "MIMI" IT IS. REGARDLESS OF WHAT WE WANT OR PLAN TO BE CALLED, THOSE LITTLE ONES CAN TUG AT YOUR HEART STRINGS AND CHANGE YOUR MIND REAL QUICK. HE DECIDED WHO I WAS IN HIS LITTLE MIND AND THAT IS ALRIGHT WITH ME. AFTER ALL, "WHAT'S IN A NAME"?

o

I really wanted to be called Grandma, but my oldest GD settled on Su-su, a variation of my first name. Grandpa has always been grandpa. We lost that darling grandbaby in an accident, so when 2nd GD arrived, only 3 weeks before this, I really wanted to be called Grandma. It stung so much to hear "Su-su" from my DIL, who I think couldn't figure out what to call me, even tho I encouraged my first name. But now that 3 years have passed, it comforts me to hear Su-su from this little one. Maybe a variation of your first name would work for you. I have a friend who is called GranPam. If you don't figure out something you'd like to be called, your little one will figure it out for you.

o

We're expecting our first great grandchild in June. We have 14 grandchildren and we're grandma and grandpa but I feel these titles will belong to my daughter and husband. Great grandma is combersome so I need something else - any ideas out there for great grandparents (by the way I'm really much too young to be a great)

o

My brothers son, when introduced to his great grandmother, ...thought for a minute and proudly said "MORE GRANDMA"!!! From then on she was known as more grandma!! By the way, I'm a soon to be first time grandma, also not that old, and can't wait to be called grandma!!! So I guess its just an individual preference, but like sudiepav said...the little one will figure it out for you!!! Really, I think we should enjoy the time we have with our grandbabies, not worry so much about what they call us!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Grandparents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here