SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nancy_gw

Feelings/attitude toward stepgrandchild

NANCY
24 years ago

My son married a girl who already had a child. They havehad two more and there is such a special bond between us and HIS firstborn it's indescribable. We do our best not to show a difference but there is simply a difference in how we feel. The baby is a precious child too and we love them all. The step child is pretty spoiled as he was that way when they married. My son is pretty harsh in his words (not necessarily discipline ) but gets on to him a lot. I can understand why because he had no manners and pretty much is jealous. It's a terrible situation and I try my best not to show favoritism but when it comes to spending the night with us, we can't bring all three and I find myself resenting it if I have to bring the oldest child (who usually speaks up quickly)and leave my grandson there. I've tried taking turns but I get really upset when I am "pushed" into having to bring the oldest when deep down inside I want my own. I know this sounds bad but I'm just sharing my heart. I can't hardly manage them together becasue of the jealousy. The oldest one (her child) sulks and pouts if he doesn't get to do things first, and then shows out for my attention to the point I can't handle them both. I don't have that much free time to spend with the kids alone as I work full time and am involved iwth a lot of things and really deep down want to spend what free time I have with my own grandchild. Am I terrible or what? The little boy (hers) does have another set of grandparents who take him occasionally but no pattern when this happens and it's sometimes right after school when I can't go and get the others. I am really not a mean hearted person, but just love my grandkids to death and don't get to treat them like I woudl like to.

Comments (29)

Sponsored
Your Source for Tailored Remodeling Solutions in Loudoun County