Return to the Grandparents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
grandparents and reading

Posted by suzanne_gran (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 12, 08 at 13:47

Hello All,

I'm a new member, but not a new Gran. I've got two of those wonderful kids, boy 14 and girl 12.

I'm also a fulltime freelance writer and hope people in this group might want to participate in articles I write about grandparenting.

Moderator: If you want to check me out to be sure I'm legit, please email me at either writtersuz@aol.com or hall1958@aol.com.

Right now I desperately want some grandparent stories on how they encourage their grandchildren to read and love reading.

Please get in touch asap.

Thank you.
Suzanne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: grandparents and reading

Good luck

o

When we travel we pick up books to share with the grandchildren. We recently went to Australia and purchased Australian nursery rymes and Wambat stew. Our grandchildren loved those. Our grandchildren range in age from 7 down to 2 year old twins and a new baby. We have a children's shelf of books and when they visit or we babysit at our house we always spend time reading. One thing I would share is that when you buy a book write yourname on the inside front cover and where and when you got the book. If you buy a book for them to keep, do the same and print a little note "to Susy--gramma and granddad got this for you on a trip to ___". or I got this at a little bookstore where there was a cat."
I recently was digging through boxes and found a book that my daughter in law received from her aunt 20 years ago.Auntie had written a cute note and dated it. You can be sure we will show it to the grandchildren for our next reading time.

o

I'm not a grandma yet but hope you won't mind me contributing my two cents, since I love to read.

I remember my mom crawling into bed with my brother and me and reading "chapter" books before we were old enough to read them on our own. We couldn't wait to find out what was going to happen! When I grew up and had three children of my own I dedicated time to reading to them one on one since they were four years apart and it wasn't as often as my mom did. She was a SAHM and I worked full-time.

So what I think is that Grandparents have the opportunity to give their grandchildren that quality time that their working parents may not be able to give. (Even if the parents do have the best of intentions). One of the things I am most looking forward to when I am a Grandma is that wonderful one-on-one reading time. Or if I am very, very, lucky multiple-on-one reading time! What a good excuse to re-visit Little House on the Prarie and Hans Brinker and the Silver Skates!

o

I have a two year old grandson that we keep 2-3 days at a time every week. We read to him every day--sometimes we will read 50 to 60 chilrend books a day. He loves it and he is very clever. Our childrens book collection grows every week! I try to get books that concide with activities we are planning--movies, amusement parks, aquaruim where he will recognize the animals and places. I love to read and I'm pretty sure our grandson will, too.

o

Our little granddaughter is two and a half, and we just read, read, read! We have her for several days and nights at a time so she has her own books here as well as trips to the library for "new" books! We buy books for her almost every time that we are out shopping! How can you not? LOL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Grandparents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here