Return to the Grandparents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

custody of grandkids

Posted by winona (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 11, 06 at 1:31

Has anybody been though court over there grandkids i need some help my daughter did not show up in court so they granted my hub and i Grandpartents sole managing conservators, and my daughter possessory conservators after amonth we get a call from our lawer saying we need to go back to court because my daughter and her boyfreind got a lawer from leageal aid and the judge granted them to open the case again now in two weeks we have to go back to court and the judge has to decide if they have a good enought reason to get the kids back they said we might have to do a social studly of the kids and who they are better off with. but how will they come up with that?

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: custody of grandkids

please if anybody reads this please get back with me sap
thank you

RE: custody of grandkids

They will probably assign someone to to a home study. Most likey from social services. Sometimes they use private social workers but it is unlikely since there is leagal aid involved. It differs from state to state.

If there are serious child abuse issues involved there may also be mental health consultations for the kids.

The social workers will come to both residences to see the living situations and ask questions about the kids and general parenting issues. If your grandkids have problems related to what happened when they were living with their mother and the boyfriend this is the time to bring it up to the social worker. Try very hard to explain the problems in a mature way. If the kids are old enough they may also talk to the kids, in private about the situation. DON'T COACH THEM.

I'm going to warn you that most of the time the laws are skewed to return kids to the parent. Parents have VERY strong rights and the children have almost none! Even in very bad situations a parent gets to keep getting the kids back. I used to do follow up for the courts in similar situations. i couldn't stand to watch how parents treated their kids and how the courts were limited to intervene. And social workers have so many cases that they can not really pay attention to what's happening.

In most states the court can appoint a guardian ad litem who will watch over the situation. It can help.Ask your lawyer about that.

If you have more questions you can e-mail me.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Grandparents Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here