Return to the Grandparents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My grandbaby doesnt want to come to me any more

Posted by Nanisue (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 7, 14 at 23:25

He Is 13 months. I have always taken care of him once a week mostly. Since last two weeks I didn't take care of him. I went to his house two days ago and that's when it happened. He did not want to come to me. And when he was in mommy's lap I asked him to come to me and he yelled at me. He has another set of grandparents he lives with (dad's side) and he goes to them with no problem. He even goes to his nanny who comes everyday except me. He was loving on him mommy and I was trying to love on him and he yelled at me again. My daughter was hurt and I was heart broken. I am trying to find reasons so I can apply but I am not sure what exactly the reason is. Any input is very appreciated as I am so hurt. I know he is just a baby and I shouldn't take it personally but it still hurts. What could be the reason? What can I do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My grandbaby doesnt want to come to me any more

It's because he is a baby, ignore it. If you make a big deal out of it...it may get worse. Babies go through this kind of stuff. Take a treat, maybe a bag of candy he likes next time you go over. Set it on your lap, eat a piece when he looks at you offer him one, but don't make any advances towards him. Or take a small toy and just leave it in your lap. If he knows you have a treat when you come, things may chance.

o

Thank you Emma. Good idea of taking something that he likes.

o

Good ideas from Emma. Or take some kind of toy and play with it yourself. Tempt him to you. Don't feel bad. Kids--it's one thing after another!

o

Oh, my I can feel your hurt, but I think he is just afraid Mommy will leave if you take him or he goes to you. Best just to relax, don't push it for sure, just get one of his books or toys and start looking or playing with it, not looking him in the eye. This might take awhile at that age they get attached.
I used to care for my gd one day a week, oh, what fun that was...she is nine now and I have no babies anymore, I miss them, she was the youngest of five. The ones that lived farther away I sent mail pretty often.

o

I do feel for you. As parents and grandparents I think we have all felt that at one time or another. If there is a way you could spend more time with your grand baby, I think that would be very beneficial. Not necessarily one on one, just in his environment to come to expect to see you. And as everyone else has already pointed out, letting the child 'discover' on his own how interesting you are, with toys and books that you read to his siblings or stuffed animals if he is not interested and let him feel a little left out and motivated to get involved and then very welcome when he expresses interest. Special 'treats' that only you bring him would help, but I would quickly drop that as a routine and only do it randomly after that, so he doesn't come to expect it.

He just needs a little help and understanding. It could be that he was just overtired and cranky that day and had too much stimulation already by the time you visited.

o

I miss my toddlers, when I remember my sons that is the age I miss. They were so much fun then and they did not go through the terrible twos like most did.

o

What happened was he was happily loving on his mother and you were bothering him (from his point of view). You wanted to take him to leave her lap and he didn't want to leave, so you you went over to 'love on him' and he didn't want to be bothered.

He's 13 months old, he did NOT 'yell' at you. Don't take it personally. He's a baby and he loves his mommy most in the world and was having his time with her.

For your daughter to be hurt about this and you to be 'heartbroken' is a huge over reaction. Let it go. Next time he'll be fine with you.

I strongly suggest you get some child development education, you can take a class which is fun or even learn on the internet.

There is no reason 'why' he did this except he wanted mommy-time at that moment not grandma time. You haven't been rejected for life. And don't compare your relationship with the other grandparents. Had they walked in at that moment and asked him to leave his mommy's lap and followed up with 'loving on him', they probably would have been gotten the same reaction.

He's 13 months old. This is what they do at that age.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Grandparents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here