SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laura_gw

question about grandparents names

laura
23 years ago

I have seen several posts involving names for grandparents. Can somebody tell me what the big deal is in being called something other than grandma or grandpa. I do not get along with my MIL or FIL. We were raised in different parts of the country and just have different opinions (on everything). My MIL insists on being called Nanna, that is o.k. for some people, but I personally don't like the way it sounds and don't want my children calling her that. Also, everybody on that side of family has a need to be called anything but grandma. I have heard nana, granny, me-maw, and even nona. I want my children to call her just plain and simple grandma. My side of the family has no problems with this what-so-ever. They are just happy to be apart of their grandchildren's life. My own grandmother stated the famous quote "A Rose by any other name is just as sweet" So isn't it more important that my children just call her than what they call her. What is everybodies opinion to this?? Do I have a right to tell my children what to say. BTW they are ages 3 years and younger.

Comments (18)

Sponsored