SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
angmul

Help! Do you think this is smothering?

angmul
22 years ago

Hello! I am wondering if I could get advice from the grandparents out there. My mother-in-law is a very sweet person. She has waited a long time to be a grandmother, and is now one after my daughter, Daphne, was born on 1/14/02. For the last 6 weeks of my pregnancy, she called me after every OB appointment to find out how things were going. Many times, I found it really annoying because she would say "I just want to make sure you are keeping my grandchild healthy". Now, she is constantly calling and giving unsolicited advice about mothering ("babies like this and not that", etc.) and asks so many personal questions ("how much of the pregnancy weight have you lost so far?", "are you still bleeding?", "make sure you use birth control when you are intimate again" etc.). Now, she is taking to calling after Daphne's doctor appointments and wants to know when I have my next OB appointment. I asked my hubby "is your mother going to call after every doctor appointment for the rest of Daphne's life?" and he said "probably". Tomorrow, hubby goes back to work and the in-laws are driving over (1.5 hours) to help me out for the day. They told hubby that they will watch Daphne while I take some time for myself. I freaked! I am not ready to leave her with anyone yet. It has only been two weeks. I feel funny leaving her with them while I nap or shower, let alone leave the apartment. It is not that I don't trust them, but she is my baby and it is too soon! I was hoping for some time alone with her tomorrow to get ourselves used to being alone during the day. Now, I have to spend the day entertaining the in-laws. I told my hubby that they can clean the kitchen or do laundry for me if they want to help, but that I need space to learn to be a mother to my baby. He agrees with me and will have a talk with them tonight. I love his parents so much, but right now, they are smothering me.

What would you do? Is this normal "new grandparent behavior"?

Thanks!

-Angelique

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022