SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
magdelena_gw

How to facilitate grandparent realtionship?

magdelena
22 years ago

I am the parent of a 10 month old son. He has two grandmas in town who just adore him. Both grandfathers have passed on. What I am hoping for from this forum is any suggestions you might have for facilitating and maintaining a good grandparent/grandchild relationship.

One grandma drives and is retired but likes to travel and stays busy with many social commitments; the other grandma does not drive and works 3 days a week (she also has 3 adult children at home). I try to visit with each grandma every week and almost always call ahead before we stop by. If we are going to do something we think they might enjoy, we invite them along (a drive to the mountains, band concert, etc.) So far, I think it's all going pretty well (and I have not heard otherwise from either grandma). Is there more we could/should be doing? Is there anything you might suggest we do now to avert problems later that might arise over discipline/lifestyle issues? (both DH and I are fairly old-fashioned about what constitutes acceptable behavior and we agree that everybody in the family has the right/responsibility to correct our child). I am not foreseeing any problems with MIL -- probably more concerned with my mom. I know she is trying hard to step back and not be too controlling (I think I've seen a little blood seeping out the corner of her lips from biting her tongue so hard!). Her style would be to make little sideways comments or throw guilt-trips. We have a fairly good relationship (as do she and dh) I just want to keep it that way. Any suggestions?

TIA!!

Magdelena

Comments (6)

Sponsored