Return to the Get-Togethers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Registries, donations and the like at work

Posted by black-thumb (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 18, 11 at 4:06

A coworker of mine is having a baby shower and she has a gift registry. A number of things were what I expected to see on a registry but other things I did not expect like a crib and three different crib linen sets, a stroller, a high chair.

Other than family why would you ask people to purchase such items? If it were me I wouldn't even ask family to purchase such things. They didn't decide to have a baby I did so why shouldn't I be responsible for making the big ticket item purchases for MY babies needs.

I always saw baby showers gifts as practical things the mother and father may not have time to run out and get so you help them stock up on things like pampers, onesies, bottle cleaners,bibs etc. not a crib or a car seat. I would never want someone to purchase those types of things for me, its my child and its my responsibility.

I also got a company wide email to donate cash for a girl at the company that I don't even know to help her go to Hawaii for her honeymoon. Huh? If you can't afford it then don't go why should others foot the bill for you to have a honeymoon.

I would never do such a thing.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Registries, donations and the like at work

Times have changed. I like to give the hooded bath towels sets for babies, and so far our people in this area are pretty good. As to donating to someone I don't know==I probably would not, as there are plenty of places to go right here in the states.
It seems like once you start, then you are asked for everything for everybody. Guess I would rather be know as a scrooge right off the beginning.

o

If I catch my employees wasting time on such nonsense they will soon be passing the hat for severance pay.

o

I remember once, a fellow employee came around collecting money because his grandmother had died. Now I wasn't super-friendly with this guy, I just sat near him. I didn't donate any money because it was not a close relationship. Hey, if it had been his mother or sister, yes. But he wasn't staying at home grieving, sitting shiva or anything. I thought it was rude/grabby for him to take up his own collection. What was he planning to do with the money ? Send flowers from "Your beloved grandson's co-workers"?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Get-Togethers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here