Return to the Get-Togethers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Diamond (60th) Wedding Anniversary Ideas??

Posted by patrice607 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 9, 09 at 0:35

I'm blessed to still have both my parents and I'm planning a 60th wedding anniversary party for them next month. There is nothing ready-made - all the mass produced decorations end at the 50th.

I think we'll have about 45-50 people. I am thinking of 8 tables with 8 - 10 at each table. Each centerpiece will feature a decade of their married lives. I have purchased small white bags that I will decorate with what was happening in the world and 4-8 pics coming out of the top of the bag with pics of my parents/family during that decade.

I've bought some Walmart "diamonds" that I will sprinkle around the cake. I'll get a large blow up of one of their wedding pics and have lots of music from that era.

My daughter suggested a "Newlywed" type game where the couple sits back to back and holds up a Barbie or Ken doll in answer to questions like, Who has the craziest family? Who is the best with money?"

Would appreciate suggestions/ideas for decorations, games,
etc. I really want to make this special!

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Diamond (60th) Wedding Anniversary Ideas??

Will this be buffet or sit down. Buffet is good as people will mingle better. Will there be people their with walkers, wheel chairs? Allow space for these. Do you have people with digital camera taking pictures. Do you have room for a large board with pictures from their past life? People love looking at those. As to the newlywed game you mention, I would suggest instead of family, or money mention different news events, even collect pictures off the internet printed on 8x11 pieces of paper, such as the first moon landing, events, some family but happy ones, etc. Money I would avoid. That could be touchy. (this comes from me as I am in my mid 70's)
Music could be from any era but most people really do like to visit. Just make sure that some people/relatives do not monopolize your folks. We oldies love to make sure that our relatives know what has been going on during the last years.
My Aunt and Uncle celebrated their 60th several years ago, and it was mainly the kids and friends telling their memories. The program did not last long. Older people do get tired easy. Your other ideas do sound good. Remember keep it simple and enjoy the visiting and pictures.

o
RE: Diamond (60th) Wedding Anniversary// Ideas??

Oh yes, one thing that really goes over good here is a viedo of the parents life on a screen. That way all see it instead of just a few at a table. That is usually part of a program.

o

Marined -

Thanks for your ideas. We will have a video presentation with about 50 pictures of my parents "through the years"
with music from the appropriate times.

It will be a buffet. Thanks for mentioning walkers, etc. That will be an issue.

I appreciate your input!

o

Patrice,

I don't know to what extent you plan on going to for your parents.

I would like to tell you what we did for my Mother and Daddy on their 60th.

Because my Mama and Daddy had the first Church Wedding in their community and Church, we had a Church continuous vow service for them. My sister-in-law, didn't want it to be a renewal, b/c they had a wonderful marriage. Both of my brothers walked Mama down the isle. Daddy was standing with the Minister and grinning from ear to ear. All of the original attendants that were still alive, were there as attendants. Including the flower girl and ring barer. It was absolutely breath taking to see your parents standing in front of the Preacher saying their vows.

My brother rented a car that was the same year as when Mama and Daddy got married. The man drove them from the Church across the road to the center where the reception was.

It was a day to be forever remembered.

Mama passed away in December of 2010, and my Daddy came to live with me. He passed away March 30th of this year.

They were married 63 1/2 years.

We would not take anything for the memories of that day.

I know ever one does not have the same plan in mind, and I am not trying to tell you what to do. I am merely telling you what we did and what a cherished day it was.

All the children, grandchildren and great grand children got to see their parents and grandparents repeat their vows. Like I said, Breath Taking!!

Good Luck with your plans, I am sure no matter what you do, it will surly be appreciated by your parents.

And yes, you are very blessed to have the honor of giving them a 60th Wedding Anniversary Reception.

Creek

o

We are planning Mom and Dads 60th as well keep all the suggestions coming. We are going to have a great picture of them strolling down 42nd Street in times square that was taken on there honeymoon blown up and mounted with a large border where all the guests can sign. We were also thinking about having a trivia game where the MC will ask questions about the current events of 1953. Several things that bring them back to the year they were married. I'm going to take pictures of the homes they have owned over the years as they stand today.
Unfortunately many of their close friends have passed so I'm inviting the many Godchildren they have had over the years, of which many they only see at funerals. I'm inviting old neighbours that they stayed in touch with when they were still active from both here as well as there old place in Florida. As many of their friends are in their 80's I extend an invitation to anyone that needs to accompany them from out of town and have arranged accommodations for them as well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Get-Togethers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here