Return to the Get-Togethers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Maryland

Posted by
Connie
(cmbII@Webtv.net) on
Mon, Jun 12, 00 at 14:42

Are there any Marylanders out there. If so, take a break from eating those hard shell crabs and let us hear from you. Anyone in the Ellicott City area?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Maryland

Hi Connie,
Take a break from eating crabs, who can afford them at $35.00 a dozen. HA HA! I am from Maryland but from the opposite end from you. I live in Parkton, MD. Do you do crafts? What are your interest. I am having trouble getting my email right now but let me hear from you. Any body out there from Baltimore or Harford County? Let me hear from you. Connie there has to be more than you and me from MD. Have a great day.
Mary Ann

o

Hi MaryAnn,

Glad you responded. I was beginning to think I was the only Marylander out there.

I sew but I don't really do crafts.

My geography is a little bad sometimes. Is Parkton toward I-83 or is it toward White Marsh. I'm originally from PG County so I know more about the DC area than the Baltimore area.
Connie

PS: It doesn't make any difference how cheap or expensive crabs are, I can't eat them anyway. Can you believe that, a Marylander that can't eat crabs.

o

Hi Connie,
It sure looks like we are the only Marylanders out there. I live about 7 mile off of 83 about 15 miles from the PA line. I am 5 miles from the Carroll county line. But I am in Balto. Co.
I also sew. About 2 years ago I reupholstered (I am a terrible speller) a rattan sleep sofa and two matching chairs. I love doing it. I was really a little sad when I was finished because I enjoyed it so. Let me hear from you.
Come on you Marylander ladies join in on our chat. Maybe we could get together sometime. Have a great day. Mary Ann

o

Mary Ann,

Sounds like you're not all that far from my brother in Lineboro (Carroll County). Look out his back door, and you're looking at Pennsylvania. As a matter of fact, I used to take 695 to 83 to Mt. Carmel Road (then other roads that I don't remember the name of) to get to his home. There is a camp that we would pass before getting to his place. Now I just take 695 to 795 etc.

That area has really built up since he moved there in the late 70's. Connie

o

Hello Connie,
Guess we are the only Marylanders out there. I live off of Mt Carmel Road. What a small world. I just can't believe that we are the only two. Come on you Marylander ladies, give a a yell! Talk to you later Connie. Have a great day!
Mary Ann

o

Hi Mary Ann,

I know there are other Marylanders out there because they have visited other THS sites but they must not visit this one. Connie

o

Good morning Connie,
I think what we should do is go to the craft site - which is always booming, and post a craft question about crafters and sewers from the MD area. I never used to visit the get together forum but now I do. I came upon it by accident one day. Now we have to find some new Marylanders out there to chat with. Do you ever go to Ocean City, MD? I will be going there for my vacation. Do you ever visit the craft site? Those ladies are so nice, everybody is willing to help you, it is great. I have to go now but with catch you later. Mary Ann

o

MaryAnn,

I never really went to OC as a child. Went there a few times for the firemen's convention after I was married. We rode down there one day last summer to see if it had changed much since our last visit. The Fenwick Island area has really changed but OC seemed to be just about the same. When are you going to OC.

We lived in the Myrtle Beach area for about 6 years. Am extremely glad to be away from that state.

Went to Sandy Point on the Bay last Thursday to watch the Tall Ships sailing from Baltimore on their way to New York. That was a beautiful sight. DH and I had been to the Inner Harbor to see them.

We will have to do something to meet more Marylanders. I usually visit the sewing forum. Visit the crafting forum occasionally but not often. I find that the folks at both forums seem nice and helpful.

Connie

o

Mary Ann,
I just posted a message in the sewing forum to see where people are from. Hope there are some folks from MD.
Connie

o

Good morning Connie,
I emailed you a note this morning. So if I don't get to answer you for a while you will understand. Have a great day! Mary Ann

o

Connie, please go to the craft forum and look at the answers to "What state do you craft in?" There are some very funny answer. Have a great day! Mary Ann

o

Hi all!!! I went to Ocean City at the end of June and had lots of fun. I am from Cumberland, Md and I am on the border of Pa, and Wv. I am about 2 and a half hours from baltimore. I would like to get into crafting. I want to cover my furniture and make my own curtains for fun and if I do a good job then, great, if I do a terrible job - well, I'll buy them then lol. I hope to hear from some more people from md.

o

Hi Connie, Mary Ann and Amy, I'll add my name to the Maryland list. I usually am on the BHG garden forums or the nature.net birdwatching forum. I know there are a few MD'ers who watch birds, but most of the gardeners seem to be on the west coast or down south. I've always LOVED to go "downey ocean", but now in my (ahem) adult years, would rather go in the off season. As for steamed crabs, I can't believe how expensive they are and do ANY of them still come from the Chesapeake? I'm not too far from Mary Ann...I live in Towson. I don't do any crafting....I'm usually outside digging or reading in my hammock in the summer. Hope to hear from y'all again. Jane

o

Hi Jane,
Glad to hear from you. Like you, I don't 'craft' but I do sew.

DH and I did a day trip to OC last year just to see if it had changed much since the last time we had been there (so long ago, don't remember when that was). The biggest change that I saw was in the Fenwick Isand area. During the 6 years I lived in the Myrtle Beach area, we rarely went to the beach. When we did, it was usually in the evening when very few people were there.

It would be nice if we can all get together one day. Will try to get something put together in the fall. I don't usually have much going on but seems like my calendar is full until after Labor Day.

Again, glad you responsded to my message and keep in touch.
Connie

o

Hello Jane,
You are right. We are the two closet yet. I do have a question on the crafters site - What state do you craft in? Check it out, it really is interesting. We don't have to do crafts to chat. Are you far from Greetings and Readings?
Maybe we could meet there some time. Hopefully Connie will be able to find a place for all of us to get together to chat. I just got back from the ocean, Hon, and you are right, I am beginning to like it better in the off season. We have a mobile home down there and hope to retire there someday. Well have to run, the chimney man is coming and I have to move a few things. Have a great day and please Jane email me.
Mary Ann

o

Mary Ann,

I was thinking about the Double T Diner as a place we can meet. What do you think. I'm not very familiar with restaurants north of the Columbia/Ellicott City area. Have any suggestions? Also, I'm not really available until the week of 09/18 (with exception of 09/21 & 09/22). How does that week sound.

Connie

o

Hi Connie, Do you mean the Double T Diner on Rt 40 west? Cantonville area? Because believe it or not there is a Double T Diner on rt40 east. It would have to be a weekday.
I will have to let you know closer to the time. Email me and I will fill you in on the details. Thanks and have a good day. If it will stop raining long enough today I will try to cut my grass. Talk to you later.
Mary Ann

o

Hello you Marylanders!! I usually don't check this forum, but I did this morning and found your question. I live in St. Marys's county. I love to do crafts (I am always busy around Thanksgiving and Xmas with selling at craft shows) and I sew. I love home decorating and going to yard sales. And I am an oddity for being a Marylander. I don't like crabs or seafood. But I will eat a crab cake once it awhile. Hope to hear from you all!!
Jenni

o

Hi Jenni,
Glad to hear from you. So you think you're an oddity because you don't eat seafood. Well, I'm not a big seafood eater either. I like shrimp, can't eat crabs (sigh) but will eat fish once in a while.

I'm not really a crafter but Mary Ann is into crafting. I do sew though. I guess you do the craft show in Hughesville each year.

Trying to figure out an area for a get together. Hope Mary Ann is okay. I sent her an e-mail as well as here at this site but haven't heard from her. Will have to try again.

Again, glad to hear from your.
Connie

o

Hi fellow Marylanders! I moved from Northern Virginia to the Crofton/Annapolis area a year and a half ago, found the kitchen table, but there didn't seem to be anyone else from Maryland. Just by chance checked out this forum (haven't been on in a long time) and discovered ya'll! Since crabs, crafting, sewing, and gardening seem to be some common areas of interest--my boss loves crab cakes so when we go to lunch together (about once a month) we head for a restaurant on the bay and enjoy a crab cake sandwich. I like to go to craft fairs and get ideas but usually never get around to making it myself. I sew and am in the process of making cascades and swags for the dining room--it's slow going though because my 5 cats all want to help. I'm beginning to dislike gardening because our house is new; the builder just cleared the area around the house, not to the property line, so my husband and I have been clearing and planting, clearing and planting, clearing and planting...
Looking forward to chatting with you again,
Mindy

o

Hi Mindy,

Welcome to our little corner of the world. You have a job on your hands making those swags. They aren't hard to make, just bulky. My niece had me make some for her a few years ago. Fortunately for me, I didn't have any little four legged friends trying to help me.

Connie

o

Hi everybody,
Been busy with relatives visisting for 2 weeks. They are still here. Will get back to all of you soon. Would like to have a get together. Amybody want to try? Connie and I are going to try. Debbie, please email me again. And Jane from Towson please email me. I will be away for a couple of days, but will answer next Monday.
Thanks,
Mary Ann

o

For those of you who do crafts and sell at shows, what type of crafts do you do? I like going to the craft shows, especially the Christmas show at the county rec center off Braddock Rd in Springfield, VA and the fall craft fair in Waterford.
Mindy

o

I went to the Leaf Festival in Luray, VA last October for the first time. I thought it was a very nice show. Hope to go again this year. Connie

o

Hi, Everyone,

I'm from College Park and don't have much time right now...was looking for a forum (forgot which) where I posted a response and want to see the follow-ups.

o

Hi CS

What part of College Park do you live in? My mother has lived in the Hollywood section of College Park for over 40 years. I have other family in Berwyn Heights and Beltsville. Guess you can tell I was born and raised in PG County but I moved from there in 1978. I've lived in Howard County since then with the exception of 6 very long years in SC.

o

Hi, hust wanted to check in as a fellow Marylander..We live in Columbia. I don't do any of the fun things that y'all do..I think I'm probably the senior member of this group.But just wanted to say hello.

o

Hi Donna,
I lived in Columbia (Owen Brown) for about 15 years. Now in Ellicott City. I'm not sure about that 'senior' member. I'm not a spring chicken any longer.

Glad you checked in with us. Will try to arrange a get-together in the next month or so for as many of the folks that have responsed as possible. Will be not be available until mid September so it will have to be after that time.

Connie

o

Hi all you Marylander's! I'm not from MD, but my mother is. Have visited the relatives so many times I feel it is my second home! My parents moved back to the "right coast" as they call it 5 years ago but missed the grandkids so much they headed west again, back to CA. It almost makes me "homesick" to read all of your notes. My mom grew up in Highlandtown and Dundalk areas but most recently lived (and loved it) in Annapolis. She worked as a tour guide at the Naval Academy and actually has had a hard time re-adjusting to CA life again...... well, thanks for "listening"....

o

Hi Cheri,
I know how your mother feels. I never adjusted to living in SC. No matter where I live, I will always be a Marylander. Connie

o

Oophs! I sure missed this post. :) I am at the KT and the pet forums. I am situated in the Frederick area. I moved from Fairfax Va three years ago when I married. My hubby grew up in Md, and his grandparents still live in Annapolis. (They are in their 90's). I love crab! I just hate to pick them. So soft shell is my all time fav.

o

Hi everyone--another Marylander here--Laurel. (That's northernmost PG county and southernmost Howard Co.) I work with horses, sew, read, and like movies.

I'm 28. what age range are the rest of u marylanders?

o

Hi Sheila,
Have you always lived in Laurel? I was born there many many years ago. You forgot to mention that Laurel is also on the western most side of Ann Arundel county and the eastern most side of Montgomery county. Since I live in Ellicott City and my mother lives in College Park, we usually meet in Laurel for breakfast (Bob Evans on Rt. 198) or at the 'shoe dept.' in Hechts. Always find a reason to go to Laurel. Thanks for responding. Connie

o

I also live in Laurel Md. near the Bob Evans. What about that new mall we will be getting up the parkway next month?

o

Hi all,

I recently moved from Mitchellville to Largo, MD.

First off, what new mall in Laurel? I haven't been there in a while because I have started shopping in Annapolis (lots of kiddie stores for my 5yr old son.)

I am a 26 yr old sad individual since I recently found out I was allergic to shellfish? boo hoo!! I usually got together with family or a friend every Sunday to eat crabs and watch football or basketball. I guess that's why I was itching so. LOL

I started posting on the crafters forum recently and I am very interested. I have never been to a craft show. I have always been creative and would really like to start crafting. How do I get started? I plan to start of with Christmas. My son and I are making gifts for everyone from great-grands to cousins. The crafters forum is always jumping! I love it!!!

Well gotta go. Good to here from fellow Marylanders.

o

The new Arudel Mills Mall is scheduled to open on November 17. Its located at routes 100 and 713. I think a new exit is being built from the B/W Parkway but for now, if you are traveling north on the Parkway, go to Rt 100 (east) and the mall is on the right at the very next exit off of Rt. 100. It appears they are already in the process of expanding the mall by constructing more stores around the parking lot not connected to the current mall. See you there on 11/17.

o

Hi Marylanders:
I live in Southern MD, Charles County, near Waldorf. Love crabs, but they seem to cost more than I want to dish out,for puny little things.

Anyway, I am just getting into sewing and I love crafts.
I collect Just the Right Shoes among other things.

Keep on writing. Bye for now.

o

Hi Beejay! We are just about neighbors!! I live in St. Marys county. Down in Leonardtown. I love Waldorf. So much more places to shop than down here. I have family that live in Waldorf. I am a 28 year mom of one. I started my own business this year so I stay real busy. I am usually selling crafts at the crafts shows this time of year but this year I was just too busy to do them. I do lots and lots of different crafts. Later...

o

Hi, everyone,

Just wanted to add my name to the Maryland group. I have never visited this forum before. I'm usually on the home decorating or kitchens and baths forums. Also sometimes check in on crafts and others. I'm a 46-year-old mother of two mostly grown ;-) children.

I live in Columbia, MD--Oakland Mills to be exact, so I'm quite close to several of you. Most of these posts are pretty old. Have any of you gotten together or do you still follow this thread?

o

Hi to all Marylanders,
I just surfed onto this forum and I'm reading about the different parts of Maryland that all the posters are coming from. I live in Randallstown and I love to cross stitch. I'm a "junior" senior trying to figure out how to cross stitch and work on this computer at the same time:-)

o

Hi everyone..I am from Maryland also..lived here all my life. I live in Great Mills right down the road from Jenileigh. I love crabs and going crabbing..And aren't we lucky to live near the water!!

o

Hi Marylanders!

I've been in Georgia the last 6 years, but I grew up in Camp Springs, about a half mile from Andrews AFB. That's PG County, only a few miles southeast of DC. All my family still lives there, my sister has moved to Waldorf and my mother, brother and his family are in Germantown. I spent a lot of my young adulthood across the river in Virginia, mostly in Alexandria (worked in Old Town, one of my favorite places in the world) and lived for quite a while in Great Falls. I hope I'll be getting back up there sometime this spring for a visit.

o

I don't know if anyone is reading this anymore, but here's another Marylander. I live in Carroll Co., in Westminster...on the Hampstead side of town. We've been here 10 yrs...dh works for BGE and I'm a sahm with two little ones...4 and 8 mos. I usually lurk around the parenting forums!

Made a big ol' pot of Crab Soup this weekend...dh was in heaven. He misses his summer crabs! I'm a native New Englander and am a lobster kind of girl, but I do love that crab soup.

o

Hi Laurie,
My brother lives in Carroll County so I go through Hampstead quite often to get to Lineboro. He almost lives in PA he's so close to the state line. Connie

o

This is my first time to visit this particular forum. I wanted to see what I was missing. It is fun to read where everyone is in Md. We are new here - just moved to Chesapeake Beach - I haven't seen anyone else from this part so.... maybe I am over here alone !! We are enjoying Md. It is beautiful - I love seeing the barns and horses and white fences, etc. It is a pretty place. Marcia

o

Hi Marcia,
Welcome to Maryland. Chesapeake Beach and North Beach are both growing. I have a close friend that lives in Owings which isn't very far from you. Do you ever go to the Rod and Reel restaurant. That restaurant has been there for many many years. Where did you move from? Connie

o

I use to live in Ellicott City. While there, I knew a woman named Connie--had a husband named John, a little boy and a brand new baby girl. Is that you?

o

Hi Patti,
Afraid not. My husband's name isn't John and I don't have any children. When did you live in Ellicott City and where do you live now? I've only lived in Ellicott City for 2 years. Lived in Columbia for many years then moved to SC for several years.

o

My best GF just moved to Rockville MD from Virginia Beach. She's single, 53, professionally employed - and doesnt know a soul there. Anyone out there want to get together? Let me know and I will put you in touch. Thanks.

o

Hello! I am from maryland! I live in dundalk maryland.
I am 50 years old. I have lived in- this area since I was 18. I am a grand-mother of 2 I have been married to my second husband for almost 25 years. I see so far no one lives near me! Cheri(mocamom)said her mother is from this way! I also lived in highlandtown for a short while!
I have been looking to chat and possibly meet people in maryland area! Hope this board is still alive! Drop me a line!!!

o

Just adding my .02 I live in Maryland too. I live 1.5 from Arundel Mills, in Hanover. It was nice to be so close to the mall at first, but now with all the extra development and all the housing communities I am not so crazy about it.Have been on and off this site for a few yeare, and never managed to see this topic. Hi to all!

o

I live in MD, Annapolis to be precise and you can usually find me over in Kitchens. Ours is being redone, and at 59 and holding, I am remarried for 3 years. So I've got someone to cook for again. And I want to learn to reallly bake, and then do some crafts and garden again. Work and school have taken most of my time over the past years.

Shall we all meet at the Mall by Marina??? ;-)

o
RE: Maryland - Again

Hi Maryland!!

The RE: Maryland thread is so old, I thought I'd start it up "Again". I live in Bowie now - very close to Crofton. I love being here since I'm a transplant from Montgomery Cty - Germantown, Gaithersburg, Aspen Hill, Carrol Highlands (used to be PG part of Takoma Park). I was born and raised in DC but moved to MD when I got married. Now on my own, for a while now. I've been on the Kitchen and Appliance forums because I've been struggling with trying to replace a kitchen appliance that has turned into a mini kitchen remodel. I just stumbled on this forum and will probably check it out more often. If you are out there - give me a shout back!!

o

Oh my gosh! You're less than half an hour away from me! I'm in Brookeville, that's down clarksville pike.

o

Hi all - I haven't been here in a while. I usually hide out in KT, Kitchens and Singles. I hope everyone is still here. BTW, for the poster looking for someone close to Rockville, I know it pretty well. I've lived in Germantown for, gosh, at least 10 years. Then moved to Derwood - almost Rockville. Also lived in Aspen Hill which is right outside Rockville - actually could walk to some parts of it.

Did anyone every get together over the summer? If so, how was it? If anyone wants to get together after the holidays, let's do it!! My BD is the middle of next month - would love to celebrate with new friends. Since I've been in Bowie, it seems like I'm close to everywhere. Waldorf is probably the farthest from me, but I'm close to 301 and can get there pretty easily. Then there's the Beltway to I guess, Rt 5...??? Either way, have car; love to travel! 10-20 minutes from Annapolis; half hour from Columbia; 40 min to Frederick. Heck, until I started my new job, I put more miles on my car than going to either of these places - 113-120 miles RT EVERY DAY, to VA!!

So, if you want, let me know.

gng

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Get-Togethers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here