Return to the Get-Togethers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Great State of Texas

Posted by
Kathy
(sims@aol.com) on
Tue, May 22, 01 at 18:53

Hello to all my fellow Lone Star State dwellers - Let's show this forum Texas is here too and full of friendly folks!!! I'm from Houston and will start us off.....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Great State of Texas

Hi Kathy,
I don't currently live in Texas but will soon. I'll be moving to the Denton, Texas area next spring. It has been my experience that Texans are very friendly and outgoing. Looking forward to the move. Connie

o

Kathy, I'm from Houston and I'm still here............:)
Salena

o

Proud to say I'm from Texas, too.

o

We live on Lake Corpus Christi and although not native Texans, we've lived in the Lone Star State for 23 years. Like the saying goes, "I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here just as fast as I could"!

o

Hi! I JUST found this forum :0)
I'm in the Clear Lake area of Texas & LOVE it here! have lived in this wonderful state since '93 & hope to be here for a LOOOONNNNGGGG time!!

o

Hello from the Heart of Texas!! We are in the Waco area!

o

San Antonio here - how are y'all doing down in the Houston area after the "flood"?

o

Hi y'all! I am a transplant of Portland, Oregon.

Texas is the finest nation in the states, and I live in the state of Plano!

o

Real Small Town here! Buffalo, Texas. Halfway between Dallas and Houston.

o

Another Houston gardener checking in. Glad to say I enjoy gardening in this area, and have no desire to live anywhere else except in Texas.

o

Hi, it's my first time here. I usually hang out at the computer help and all the crafting forums. I'm from the small town of Nixon in South Texas.

o

MaryAnn, my family is from Nixon! My Great Grandfather was C.D. Cook and owned the feed store.

I was born and raised in Houston, and now live in the suburb of Katy. Also, DH is from Houston (Alief to be exact).

o

I've spent half my life in Texas, the best half! I'm in Bedford, TX in the DFW area.

Paige, I have a brother in the Clear Lake area.

o

Hello everybody
Guess what? I'm not from Texas at all, I'm french!!! But I lived in Houston almost 20 years ago, and I really loved it. I was in a French/American school called Awty School, mayby some of you guys know it. Anyway, I've never been there again since me and my family came back to France, but I have lots of memories and I'm sure I will go there again one day.
Geraldine

o

Hi, I'm from Austin. There is a large collection of Austinites at another friendly site if you want to check it out. We get together frequently.....about once a month. It's really a blast.

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Talkers

o

Howdy from the Texas Panhandle. Born and raised in Texas, except for a brief stay in California! Logo, please take pity on our unrated Tech Red Raiders Saturday! LOL

o

TEXANS in the Houston area: Join us in a plant swap and GardenWebbies' social at Mercer Arboretum in Northwest Houston this coming Saturday, October 6, 2001, starting around 10:00 AM and lasting until the last plants are traded. We are also having a covered dish and barbeque buffet. Any gardening items, seeds, tools, books, new and/or used, can be traded. See "Texas Gardening" forum in GardenWeb.com for more news on the Mercer Plant Swap, including directions. Scroll down, because there are several threads about this.

We are going to be in the pavillon on the west side of the road, not the main Arboretum side, which is on the east.

-- Marie

Here is a link that might be useful: Texas Gardening forum

o
missmelanie

missmelanie,
I just read your post about your family being from Nixon. Your e-mail address is not listed so please e-mail me. I'd love to chat!

o

Hi Ya'll! Just seen this post and wanted to add my name to the list! I am originally from Houston but now live in beautiful East Texas (Tyler Area). I would like to get to know all of you. Here is a link to my homepage to tell more about me.
~Donna~

Here is a link that might be useful: Meet My Family

o

Just like logo, I live in Austin. I am originally from northern California but moved to El Paso when I was 5. From El Paso we moved to Ft. Worth, then to Laredo, then to Harlingen. I went back to Laredo and got married, moved back to Harlingen for 12 years and moved to Austin in '92. I don't think I'd live anywhere else!

o

I'm late but I'm here too!!! In the Austin area

o

Lockhart here

o

Another Houstonian signing on. I have lived in many states but I won't leave Texas! It is like a whole separate country down here!

o
RE: Great State of Texas -Fort Worth

I'm living living in Fort Worth, Texas....

Family in Missoula, Montana. Hope to move there when I retire (in 12 years).

o
Need a hand from Texas

Hello,
Sure could stand some good advice from you folks in Texas. We are native Northern Californian's (80 miles north of San Francisco in wine country.) As you probably are aware, California is quickly becoming a place to be from, she is losing her luster and a lot of folks are giving-up hope (and we love this place, it is all we've known)

Our family, actually four separate families would like to find a place in Texas to call our home. Are there any Northern California transplants that could offer advice? We sure would be grateful for some of the same even-keel/reasonable weather if that is a possibility; need a christian school for the grandchildren; good medical facilities for a more senior mom; a place where we can raise our basset hound dogs. We aren't afraid to work; we want to be part of a community and care very much about this country and other people. What can I say, we try to live by the "do unto others rule"....
I would be so grateful for any/all input.

o

Oops, can someone tell me why homes are so amazing and the prices are unreal? Also, is there a reason so many are vacant? What is the weather like? What are the shockers that Californians should be prepared for or are there any? Just trying to ask for the truth with humor and honesty, because I don't want to make a lot of family members that are stepping out on faith, real sad.
Thanks again to you wonderful folks, I can sure say Texans are warm and genuine people.

o

BJayBassets,

I don't know what part of Texas you are looking at. I'm in Austin. Vacant houses could be because of the recent tech bubble burst (Austin) or because of Enron (Houston).

Susan

o

I'm in Plano, too.

(Hi, Mary Ann, [waving])!

Trish

o

Haha Hi Trish! Did you see that I posted the above post on Oct 11, 01????

MaryAnn

o

We live between Dallas and Fort Worth and my family has been in Texas since 1845. All of my 44 years, except when I was attending UT Austin, have been in the Dallas area. I've traveled to 40+ states and several foreign countries and every time I'm away it feels soooo good to get back home. Regarding people in general - There's a difference between being nice and being friendly, if that makes any sense, and Texans seem to be more friendly.

BJayBassets - Welcome to Texas and I hope you find someplace you like. It is certainly cheaper to live here than in Northern California. I'm not familiar with costs in your area, but we've got friends who live in the Walnut Creek area past Berkeley and I can't believe what houses cost there. My reaction to prices there is "you've got to be kidding!" Our friends moved from Dallas to Berkeley, then a few years later from Berkeley to Walnut Creek. They've spent a fortune on housing there, but also made a fortune on their Berkeley Hills house.

Good luck!

o

Just left Katy, Texas last year after eighteen years in the state. I will always consider Texas my second home--the best people in the world. The schools and roads sure beat those in Louisiana.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Get-Togethers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here