Return to the Get-Togethers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need family reunion idea input

Posted by Loralee (My Page) on
Thu, May 27, 04 at 1:53

this is my second year for doing a family reunion. I need input for the menu. We camp out, and I have family that comes from out of state. Heres the delima, some of the families "chose" to come late in the evening after dinner(they were in the area the day before) after these were the folks bringing part of the meal, etc. Soooo all of us that was there had to go into town and get the items we were lacking for the evening. How do I prevent this happening again. We did potluck with families being assigned to various foods. Do I collect money from everyone at the camp out and just go and buy everything ahead of time?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need family reunion idea input

I would let everyone know, supper will be from --to--pot luck like you did, and let all know the hours. Then if anyone comes late, just let them know you are so sorry they were not able to come for supper, but you are sure they can find a late supper at a local cafe. Just know the hours and locations.
Marie

o

I have one every year.Anywhere from 100 -160 people.Everyone brings a casserole.They love this they exchange recipes.Then I have hootdogs saurkraut,barbeque sandwhiches and hotwings.I have drinks,I get a huge tub fill it with ice,soda,water ,tea whatever,we have chips dips,desserts,after all dione later we all have the little dixiecup icecream.I have all kinds games,we give tour of all the animals,longhorns,donkeys,horses,chickens,some fish in pond,some get horseback rides,some go for hayrides in through pastures to see the animals,at the end of day the gaited community at the end of our property has fireworks.a fun day.

o

Every year my husband's family has a big reunion at a campground in Vt. It is three days but the main day is the Saturday and everyone brings a potluck for that main celebration. Every family is assessed $5.00 which goes toward expenses such as the meat for that day and firewood for the weekend. Also all the bottles and cans are collected and the deposits go toward the next year's expenses. The oldest member of each family is their family rep and takes care of forwarding the newsletter and information around to their members. Some familes rent trailers and popups or have their own campers and some folks use the local motels in the area. There is a campfire every night and games for the children and adults on Sat as well as an award ceremony. They come from as far away as California and Florida for this every year and it is great fun. Started small more than 20 years ago and just kept growing. There is usually so much food, that there is plenty if someone shows up with nothing but that usually does'nt happen. Whomever gets up the earliest in the morning starts the huge coffe pot which is set up the night before so there is coffee around the fire early every morning. Lots of activities going on and it really is a good time. They have a meeting of the family reps on the last day and the plans are then laid for the next year. They also do a fifty-fifty raffle to raise money for expenses. Different people have different jobs. We now are doing themes. This year's is Halloween--last year's was Hawaiian--it was a riot. They get very creative. Hope this is helpful.

Geri

o

Our family has held a reunion annually for over 100 years, usually about 110 attend.

Pot luck noon meal, with no assigned dishes: more than enough for everyone, even if some come without, , etc. There's always enough variety. Fruit drinks provided, sometimes ice cream.

Races for various age groups, tug-of-war, peanut/candy scramble, choose pairs, throw water-filled balloon back and forth as step back each throw, three-legged race, hopping race in a grain bag, teams to carry raw egg on a spoon to target rope and back, of 4 - 5 to wrap someone in toilet paper, see which does best job. Some games quite active, to keep kids interested, some contests, e.g. family history quiz, guess number of buttons in a bottle, etc. for grandmas.

Finish about 4 p.m.

I plucked a plastic bag full of TP residue from garbage barrel a couple of years ago, came to "Saving" forum to ask whether folks had found a way to reuse TP.

Some interesting replies, as I recall.

ole joyful

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Get-Togethers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here