Return to the Get-Togethers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanted Yankees???

Posted by
Cathy - FL
(massyankeecat@juno.com) on
Thu, Apr 6, 00 at 21:12

My husband and I moved from Massachusetts to the east coast of Florida, south of Kennedy Space center. It has been 21 years and I still miss the old homestead. Did you know that it is possible to get too much sun? Well 10 months out of 12 of heat is a bit much. Does anyone else have the same problem?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanted Yankees???

we moved here (merritt island, florida) two years ago from Rochester, NY. sometimes i get homesick, but i will NEVER again scrape a car windshield for ice or ask my husband where is that dang draft coming from? i love it here.

o

I also grew up in Massachusetts and now live in Texas. Talk about HOT!! We've been here since 1982 and I still can't get used to the heat. I miss the snow.

o

Hi Cathy,
I'm in Seminole County, so we're pretty close neighbors. I moved from Ks 20 years ago and still get homesick. I do make it back every few years and still have some realy good friends there. I'm with you on having to much heat and sun. Whenever I get a chance, I head for WVa in the summer time. Unless we get some rain, we're gonna have a repeat with the fires that we had a couple of years ago.
Debbie in Fla

o

Hi
I am transplanted from Indiana to Oklahoma. 20 years ago on april of 2000.. alot has transpired...I still miss home but since my kids were raised here im staying Ha....Ive lost both parents and to go home is not real good memories except for friends of course and we keep up thru email. Our weather in OK is scorching also and at times I do miss the snow.....but Tornadoes are a real PAIN.....Later darline

o

I moved to SW florida 16 years ago and would never trade the heat and humidity for the cold and gloom of Wis. When it rains down here it gets it over with and sun comes out. When it rains up north it is gloomy for 2 days..rains for 2 days and then takes a couple of days to have the sun come out. Some people are made for the cold and gloom and some like me need light and sun and of course the heat. :) I used to be depressed all winter long. Like when the leaves started turning color until the grass was all green. That is most of the year.

o

I've been in S.FL for over 26 years coming from freezing rain in Rochester, NY. I don't even remember what shoveling snow is,don't intend to find out. I don't miss mud, boots, excessive clothing, red noses and all the lovely things that happen from Nov thru April in the north. If we ever lose the air conditioning I may change my mind. I spend most of my time indoors anyway.

o

I moved to SW FL from NYS over 23 years ago. The heat and humidity take some getting used to but it beats the ice and snow. Also, I raised my 4 children here, and this is where they have settled, so I'm here to stay!

o

Born in Massachusetts--visit the Cape every July--and would not leave South Florida--It's a challenge, you know--heat, humidity and hurricanes! And---that's just the H's! Have lived here since '86--and love to wake up to sunshine most every morning---no more shoveling snow for me! Have a Happy day--more H's!

o

I lived in hOMESTEAD.Fl for 5 years in the 70s.. went there fom St. Louis, Mo. and loved it there. then I left for personal reasons...But couldnt quite forget how I liked Fl....I cme back to central Fl. 2 and one half years ago...I love it here....

o

Barbara,
Where in Texas do you live. I live in Maryland but DH wants to relocate to the Dallas area for retirement. I like it there but no matter where we end up for retirement, I will always be a Marylander. Was in Dallas during their record breaking hot spell. Came home the day after Labor Day. Sure was hot and dry there.
Connie

o

I'm orginally from Illinois but joined the Air Force out of high school. DH and I were both active duty (he just retired last year..I STILL have 4 more years in the reserves) and came to northwest Florida in 1988 from Germany. Needless to say, we're still here! I started out at Pease AFB in New Hampshire and fell in love with New England. My goal when we retire (permanently) is to spend 6 months in Florida during the winter/spring months and 6 months in New England during summer/fall. I just LOVE autumn in New England! Retirement seems sooooo far away right now!

o

I'm from PA, my family moved to KY 35 yrs ago. So this has really alway's been home.

o

I moved from New Jersey 25 years ago. I miss the ocean but some people. Most of the food I missed is easier to get in Texas now.
I like some change of seasons, but if one season has to be a long one, make it summer! People have always been so friendly here.
Dallas - Fort Worth has been colder than usual lately. Maybe when I retire I'll head south - south Texas.

o

I am a Michigander who moved to Lakeland, Florida for about 12 years, got to missing the season changes so moved to the mountains of North Carolina. I love it here. The seasons are not severe in any season. I do miss home sometimes, but wouldn't move back up for anything.

o

I'm an upstate New York, here in Florida for 4 years. Can't wait to return to NE. I can't stand the heat, the garbage on the roads, or government in this state (can you say crooked)
Only 3 years left here!

o

then i say go home yankee go home!!

o

Moved from Ohio to coastal NC (Southport) about 20 years ago. I sometimes miss the snow usually at Christmas but not enough to move back. Besides husband works here and the kids have been raised here so guess I won't be moving anytime soon. Hurricanes are a pain (3 in one year), but so far it hasn't blown us away.LOL.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Get-Togethers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here