Return to the Get-Togethers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
??? about coffee!

Posted by doodman (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 18, 03 at 10:04

Why is it that when I get a coffee at Starbucks, it tastes SOOO good, but when I gring my OWN starbucks beans and make coffee at home, it tastes just like el-cheapo' regular coffee??? I have a pretty nice Krups drip coffee maker. Do I need something industrial or something?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ??? about coffee!

dont know, to me starbucks coffee tastes like paint thinner, way to strong! now tim hortons, thats good coffee!

o

I don't care for Starbucks, either. Way too bitter for me.

o

Maybe it is the water.

o

Starbucks filters all their water.

o

We could not live without our Gevalia.

And we filter our water, too.

o

Could be the water or the amount of coffee you put in your maker. Starbucks recomends 2 Tablespoons per 6 ounces of water. With that ratio your coffee should taste like it does at the store.

o

I have to agree with what you say doodman. I used to frequent a local coffee shop that roasts their own beans on the premises...great coffee there & great beans to take home. Then Starbucks shops started filtering (heh) into our state and I decided to give their coffee a try. All the cups I buy on the premises are very good, BUT not much of a success with the beans I take home...and I always use spring water to make my java. Maybe they use the best of their imported beans for their establishments, and pass the excess out to the in-home customer...that's just a guess on my part. I did try a neat substitute - Peet's Coffee. Supposedly, they are the "grandfather" of coffe roasters. Their product is much better brewed at home, and the prices aren't too bad either - even with the S&H charge.

o

How about mochas? I only like Starbuck's mochas. I have tried many other places but they are just too sweet. I have tried making my own - even bought the Starbucks beans and the Starbuck's mocha powder. Nope, not the same. The guy at Starbuck's tried to tell me that it's because of the way their machines PULL the espresso out, or something like that. He referred to their $300 espresso machine. Nope, sorry. Guess I'll just have to continue getting my mochas from them.

o

If you like Starbuck, you must not have tried many others...

Hint: Don't buy any American blend, even if it says "Columbian beans" or "Arabic beans". If it's an American blend, I don't even try it. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Americans, just their coffee blend, that's all.

And, you're right, coffee is not supposed to taste bitter to be strong. It's not supposed to taste sour neither! I never had sour tasted coffee until I came to the US. I had high hope when Starbuck first opened locally. Then, I tasted their coffee, and... it tasted sour.

o

Try using spring water, a gold filter, the right amount, removing spent coffee grounds as soon as coffee is "done" and pour coffee into a carafe instead of "cooking" it.

Dana

o

I have the starbucks espresso machine and I can make latte's just like they do. I buy the starbucks pods. They are a pre measured shot, it almost looks like a tea bag. I also make my Americano the same way. It's a lot easier than having to grind and measure.

But as far as drip coffee, I'm in the same boat. No matter what brand I use it never taste as good as in the coffee shops. I have an Aunt that puts a little salt in with the coffee when it is in the filter. Apparently it takes away the bitterness.

I used to belong to another forum a few years ago and I found it very useful. It's called the Coffee Crew. You can ask these guys anything and they have an answer. I can't remember the exact name of the web site but you should be able to find it by typing in Coffee Crew. They are located in Vancouver BC I believe.

o

I don't use Starbucks Coffee on a regular basis, but I'm happy with my home brew. My coffeemaker is a Cuinsenart Filter Brew. It has a charcoal filtering system AND it makes incredibly hot coffee. I grind my own beans fresh and use bottled water. I generally use a medium roasted bean. I have smooth rich coffee every time.

I wonder? How old is your Krups coffeemaker? That is the brand I had before and after eight years or so, everything was coming out of it bitter. We finally saw the light and got a new coffeemaker. I liked my Krups and think of it as a good brand, but the Cuinsenart was a good buy at Macy's last year and so far, I've been happy with it too.

o

If you want good coffee, buy a French press and don't get your water too hot. A French press coffee maker can make even terrible pre-ground coffee taste pretty good. It makes unbelievably good coffee from good, fresh beans.

o

Gevalia coffee and a cuisinart coffee maker that filters the water! Best coffee ever! I think I'm addicted to Gevalia Hazelnut!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Get-Togethers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here