Return to the Get-Togethers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Double dipping at get togethers

Posted by lilleth (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 6, 04 at 16:26

I'm posting in this forum because I can't find another location for this question. I hope this doesn't sound petty.

I don't like to eat from the same plate or utensil or anyone with the exception of my husband. When dipping chips in salsa or dip, if someone double dips from the bowl (dips, bites off half the chip, then dips again), in my estimation that is the same as sharing utensils. We eat frequently with various friends at a wonderful Mexican restaurant where the chips and salsa flow freely, and most people seem to understand that double dipping is not appropriate (perhaps as a result of the famous Seinfeld episode in which George double dips chips in onion dip at a funeral). After many years of having a friend of my husband not only double dip but also ask to try my food and subsequently dipping his fork in my food at various restaurants, I recently asked him to please not double dip. He was so put out by my request that the next time we dined together he repeatedly brought up the topic. This is a man, I might add, from a wealthy family where he hopefully would have learned basic table manners. To my dismay, last night we dined at the Mexican restaurant with a fairly new friend, and she double dipped throughout the night, and I avoided the salsa.

So what is the appropriate response? Give up eating salsa? Mention it to the double dipper and risk losing a friendship? Ask the waitstaff for extra salsa bowls? Get counseling regarding my dislike for sharing oral germs? I am really baffled by this behavior and at a loss how to deal with what I consider an unsanitary procedure.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Double dipping at get togethers

You might like to read this thread from the Cooking forum.

Ann

o

i would ask the waiter or waitress for an extra salsa bowl, if your friend asks why just tell her that you don't like double dippers. when my sisters i have friends over we have to watch because we're not big on the double-dip either (except with each other). so sometimes sami will elbow me in the ribs and whisper "katlyn just double dipped in the sour cream and onion" and i'll know to avoid that particular dip....

o

When we go out to eat the first thing we say is we want bowls for all of us so we do not double dip...that works well for all...

o

The only time I tell anyone not to double dip is at my Christmas party, it is family and I say in a humorous way. No one has taken offense, they just laugh and put dip on their plates. At a social gathering I would not dip at all.

o

Oh the horror stories i could tell you - from my nephew reaching into the butter dish with his hands, to a date reaching across the table and digging into a crab meat appetizer using his hands (and from a man who felt it necessary to correct everyone's grammar!!!!....i could go on, but i really don't want to digust anyone.

my best suggestion would be that you take the salsa bowl and with your spoon, dish some into your own plate and then dip from there. this way you don't offend anyone and you don't get offended or not eat.

if there are many in your group, you can ask for a second bowl, one for each end of the table and try to avoid sitting near the double dippers.

just my two cents.

o

Ha ha, funny that people have started posting on this thread again! I guess the holidays bring out the bad manners.

o

most places I've been in set little plates down when they bring the chips and salsa. Another habit that bugs the **** out of me is people licking or sucking their fingers instead of using a napkin...

o

I don't htink you need to go as far as going to the doctor, I have the same problem. When we go to places that people may double dip, I simply ask for an extra bowl for myself.

o

Here I thought you guys were about to talk about ice cream cones!

joyful guy

o

or sharing ice cream cones with the dog, you know one lick for you one lick for the dog. come on now who hasnt done that.

o

If you live on a farm, you've seen a number of places that dogs put their noses.

No way a dog kisses me - let alone shares my ice cream cone!

ole joyful

o

In my home, I place a spoon into the dip and have small plates for my guests who wish several appetizers. I use small bowls for the dips and keep extra in the kitchen. If I see someone double-dip, I take the bowl into the kitchen, empty, clean it, and refill with new dip. If that offends guests, it's too bad! I'd rather accomodate those who find that habit as disgusting as I do!!

o

Unless someone has a communicable disease, I don't have a problem with half-eaten food dipped in the salsa or cheese. A trace amount of my friends' saliva isn't likely to hurt me. I routinely share drink from the same bottles and cans, or have them sample my food with their fork or spoon, not much difference. I'm surprised the original poster doesn't have a problem with her husband double-dipping (never heard that term until now), but not her friends.

I draw the line though with non-humans. Dogs will happily drink from toilet bowls, so cute as it may look, no way am I trading licks on an ice-cream cone with a dog.

o

Dogs lick thier butts.. They don't lick anything I eat.. Or me for that matter.. I am very much a Lucy kind of girl.. ACK I have been kissed by a DOG!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Get-Togethers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here