Return to the Get-Togethers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
michigan *

Posted by
lori
(bonin@bignet.net) on
Thu, Mar 4, 99 at 11:32

anyone out there from michigan? i live in washington,mi. love to garden and go to flea markets-gargage sales. oh and of course i like to sit her and type instead of doing house work ! what about you?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: michigan *

Hi Lori,

I'm not sure where Washington is but I live in Stockbridge,
in between Lansing & Ann Arbor. Flea markets are great! I
am hoping to start a small garden this year and hopefully
do some landscaping. Any tips for someone with a not so
green thumb?
-Heather

o

hi heather, washington is near romeo,rochester-utica. well if you want to take a short drive this spring i have LOTS of extra plants- daylilies-iris-rose campion-sundrops, and alot more. you are welcome to any or all . just have to let me know so i will be here. we run alot with three kids. lots of soccer . you asked for a tip on gardening-well visit the garden forum . everyone is so nice and you will get lots of help. take care- is it snowing there? we have at least 6 inches on the ground and they say it is just starting. its been snowing hard here all day.

o

I wish I could join you in your spring time adventure. I live in "Da UP, eh!" Grew up in the Jackson area -- I think our school played Stockbridge in sports, but I've been out of school for 30 something years. This unusual weather has given you more storms that "dumped" snow than we have had. I don't think we've had a snow day yet. Today, March 6, the sun is brightly shining and my daughter in the Detroit area says it's snowing.

o

You guys make me miss home. I'm from KALAMAZOO!!!! I moved to Tallahassee, Florida for my DH. Yes, I do miss the snow and skiing, call me crazy.=)
Take care,
Dianna

o

Thanks Lori,

Maybe I'll be able to take you up on your offer. It sounds like your family keeps you pretty busy! By the sound of it, I bet you have a beautiful yard in the spring time too. I just recently got married and our home is what you call a "fixer upper". Needless to say, the yard, among other things was sadly neglected. I am hoping to spruce it up a bit. I am really just getting started. So far we have redone the dining room and living room. I love to paint and decorate so that helps make it seem more fun. I have a few craft projects I want to work on too when I have the time.

o

Hi everyone, I live in a Northern Suburb of Detroit. I know where Washington is, I have a friend and a niece that live there. I love gardening, crafting and garage sales. It's hard to believe that we have more snow than the U.P. they usually have tons more than we do. I have two large rock gardens in my back yard plus flowers planted everywhere in the front. I love flowers and that is where I spend most of my summer, working with my flowers. I grow a lot of strawflowers that I use in my crafts.

o

Oh I miss my beautiful Michigan. Spent my whole life in Warren until my job transferred me to Pennsylvania. I miss all the snow and my family. And the beautiful lakes! I'm so homesick. :(

o

Hi PJ, Warren is the next city over from me. I can understand your missing Michigan. If I had to leave here I would too. I love the changing seasons and would miss them. No matter where you are in Michigan you are never far from water and I like that.

o

I lived in MI for 13 years and am back in central OH. Just so you guys know, my 3 MI-born sons are still wearing their U of M shirts and wouldn't be caught dead in OSU apparel.

o

LOL Rita, Michigan fans are hard to change aren't they?

o

Hi Lori, I'm from Utica. Practically your next door neighbor..:) I just recently found this web site and am really enjoying it - These people are so talented and I have gotten so many great ideas - Just wanted to say "Hi Neighbor" Sharon

o

have any of you heard anything about the michigan get-together?

o

Hello..I am from Ann Arbor..have enjoyed this site for almost 2 years now...just put in an herb garden, did perinnials in front annuals on the deck - LOVE the warm weather and love to talk gardeing...nice to meet you all!

o

Hello I was born and raised and married and raised my family in Battle Creek Michigan. Cereal City. For three years I have lived on Long Island, New York and I love it here. I do miss friends and family in Michigan but we all have computers and communicate every day.

o

yeah! i'm from port huron! did you all hear what's happening in our crazy town?

o

isn't interesting we go from snow in march to the lazy days of summer in june. its about 2am and the mi moon is shining through the window here in the farmington area. couldn't sleep, so came down to see what was happening.......

o

This is great! I currently live in Dimondale (suburb of Lansing) so I definitely know where Stockbridge is, Heather! However, I grew up in the "Creek" - Battle Creek, that is! Where did you go to school, Sherill? I still have lots of family there.

Lastly, my husband's job just transferred to Warren, so our house is on the market, and we have been househunting in Shelby Township (sound familiar, Marilyn, Sharon and P.J.?), Rochester, Milford and Farmington Hills!!! I really would appreciate any and all advice about the schools! All I have to go by is the MEAP scores on the MI Dept. of Ed website - Utica, Rochester, and Farmington Hills all look good, Walled Lake and Huron Valley looks o.k. Any advice would be much appreciated!

o

Just wanted to give all you Michiganders an update. I'm coming back to Michigan in the spring of 2000! I'm so excited to get back to my beloved home state!

o

I can relate to almost all the areas mentioned. Hubby was with MSP so we did move about. Favorite area PAW PAW! And the best is yet to come with fall surely just around the corner although the 88 registering on my patio denys this. Am now "retired", I think but much too busy. Still never too busy if there is a get together planned for Michigan, Just not in Detroit and environs, pretty please. Anyone with excess rain, please send it north.

o

Hi, I am in Sterling Heights. Is there anyone out there close by?

Dawn

o

Hi all you Michiganders....or is it Michiganians? It's been interesting reading about my home state and finding that others here used to live in my hometown of Battle Creek. Sherill and I discovered we spent one year together in high school. I could even find my year book (after moving many times between then and now) and remember her! Oh, my name is Sharon (I'm told that Shazza is Austrailian for Sharon) and really like living in Florida since hubby retired. @@:)

o

Just spotted these threads on Michigan. I live in Warren Michigan, and I'm so glad to see a lot of you are or have been close by. My friend has just recently moved to Paw Paw, and my son lives in Fowlerville. I also have family in Fraser, Roseville, Monroe, Dearborn,Fenton, Sterling Heights, Utica and all those places around the Macomb County area. It's nice to meet you all.

o

WOW - lots of us here. i have not been here for awhile. dorie did you move yet? i was going to tell you about the schools in rochester. I have one in the top class of high-middle and grade. love the middle school. have never heard a bad thing about this school. even from the kids. hate the high school but they are almost finished building a new one close to us. this will be ready next year. the grade schol is a good school but not to sure the principle is on the ball. it was good to here from all of you. lets keep in touch- here. Dawn do you sell partylite candles??

o

Just Lurking about and spotted Michigan! We all seem to live in the lower penn, uh... anyway, I live in Jackson, Mi. Close to a few of you. I think this is a great site with many helpful forums, have had fun being here. I am married with children, love snowmobling and boating ( I live in Mich.! of course) and a good laugh. Happy Holidays to all of YOU! :)

o

BOO, HOO, I MISS MICHIGAN! MY HUBBY AND I MOVED OUT TO ST PAUL/MINNEAPOLIS AREA ABOUT 5 YEARS AGO AND I MUST SAY, MICHIGANIANS ARE MUCH MORE FRIENDLY THAN ANY MINNESOTAN I'VE EVERY MET! I'D MOVE WAY UP TO COPPER HARBOR IN A HEART BEAT IF WE COULD. ANYWAY...I'VE ENJOYED READING ALL ABOUT YOU WONDERFUL MICHIGANIANS (MICHIGANDER SOUNDS LIKE A GOOSE TO ME). ENJOY THE BEAUTIFUL LAKES AND WOODS AND EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!

o

A UP friend sent the following along so anyone with connections to yoopers may find a smile in it:
The YOOPER CREATION STORY
In da beginning, dere was nuttin
On da first day, God created the Upper Penninsula
On da second day, He created the partridge, da deer, da bear,
da fish and da ducks
On da third day, He said let dere be Yoopers to roam da upper penninsula
On da fourth day, He crreated the udder world below
On da fifth day, He said "Let dere be trolls to live in da world down below
On the sixth day, He created da bridge so da trolls could go to Heaven
God saw that it was good and on da seventh day He went huntin

o

I just have to jump in here! I love the "Yooper Creation Story"! Although I'm not actually from Michigan, I guess you could say we are almost like a suburb! I live in Windsor, Ontario, right across the river from Detroit. Windsor and Detroit do a lot of celebrating together - and so many Americans work in Windsor and Windsor people work in Detroit so there is a lot of mingling ... so I kind of felt like one of you!!!

P.S. to Lori & Heather - I highly recommend getting "Birds & Blooms" magazine! It is absolutely beautiful, NO ads and the gardening ideas are excellent - best part is that most of it is sent in by the readers! I received a subscription as a gift a couple of years ago and have been renewing it and looking forward to it's arrival ever since!! Enjoy!

o

Hi Fellow Michigan Friends----I live Dexter Mi. Don't know my way around too well yet---did recognize some of the places mentioned. Moved here from Nebraska. We have a new house so am still trying to decide on what trees and shrubs, flowers to plant. Different things here to plant than in NE. Any ideas would be welcome!!! Thanks!!!!!!

o

Nice to see so many Michiganders. I live In Sterling Hgts.
Gee Dawn we could be neighbors.Its a rainy spring day here
today. Oh, well spring showers mean May flowers.Can't wait to go to Eastern Market on Flower Day.

o

I, too, loved the Creation of Yoopers Story. In fact I copied it and mailed it to a number of family and friends who no longer live in the great UP. Not too many of us on the Net :) Menominee here. In fact, I come from a long line of hunters who will probably believe that creation story!!!

Joyce

o

Hi all you Michigan People I live in Berkley, and Lori is my DS. She gives me all the plants for my gardens and all the tips too. Glad to see so many people from Michigan. Have a great summer and happy planting.

o
I miss my 'Big Lake' !!!

I lived near Lake Michigan till I was 17 when my parents moved us to upstate NY. I can't tell you how much I miss the lake. I will forever miss its magic.
Debbie

o

M!ch!gan... I'm in South West Michigan. Very close to beautiful Lake Michigan.

o

I live in the Thumb of Michigan, just about at the knuckle! lol Near Port Sanilac.

o

Hello, anyone out there? No one has posted since Aug. I see!
Now we have snow. I live in the little village of Bloomingdale located in Southwest Michigan. Not far from Kalamazoo, Paw Paw, or South Haven. I love the lakeshore in South Haven! I shop in all of those places, and then some!

o

We're still here! I'm PJ who moved back from Pennsylvania and now I'm in Rochester. Stay warm!!!

o

I live near Clare Michigan.

I love to browse this site and also to flower garden. I'm new to gardening. I have a gardening buddy, a grand child that will be two. We have so much fun.

Sewing, camping, and fishing are other hobbies I have.

o

Hello all, Michiganders-I live close by the Michigan International Raceway--in Brooklyn. I know hardly anybody visits this site now-but wanted to say Hello to all. I love my state--and the four seasons-but-hm--this year has been hard-with all the snow and ice.-Without 4-wheel drive-I wouldn't be able to pull into my driveway! It's been this way since the first of December. Sigh-and still a bed of ice. Anybody close by here?

o

Hey, Neat to see people from my home state. I am from Midland, actually grew up in Hope. I know where most all of the cities you have mentioned. Mary in Clare, have you been there all your life. You are close to Midland. I moved to Florida for a few years then missed the seasons so moved to the mountains in North Carolina. I like it here because the seasons are not so severe but OHHHHH, there is no place like home. When I lived in Florida I was so happy when it got cloudy, hehehehe. Reminded me of home. I love the grass from home too. I guess I am home sick. Need to go visit my sister.

o

I was born and raised in Holland, Michigan. We are raising our kids here too. I just love it and can't think of a better place to be. My husband is a yooper and tends to think the UP of Michigan is the best place. Go figure ha! Anyone interested in coming down to the Tulip Festival let me know I can get you information. It is a great time of year to come to Holland. It is held in May every year.

o

Hi! Although I've never been to Mi we are planning to visit my DD#2 and family (5 GG), next month, who moved there last fall. They are in SW MI just over the Ind. border, near Sturgis. We are from the NE and moved to SW FL 24 years ago. This past winter sure beat the Fl weather they were raised in. Carol (FL)

o

Hi! Incase anyone checks back in I thought I would add my info on here. I live in Scottville, home of the Famous Scottville Clown Band. Also we live next to lake Michigan where the car ferries go across and also I live near the ever Famous Johnny's of Custer. Anyone ever been in this area?

o

Taylor & Wyandotte here. Anyone been to the Franklin Cider Mill lately?

o

The Franklin Cider Mill has good donuts too.

o

from ohio, in flat rock mi. now 14 yrs left on my sentance, or til i can retire. been here 17 yrs now gotta say i cant wait to get out of here, high taxes, bad roads, over priced houses. ohio never looked so good!

o

Lots here from Michigan I see. Grew up in Romeo myself and still live in Southeastern Michigan. But I see its that time of year, winter is on its way and time for me to start wondering why I'm still living here . I like Michigan and all, but I'm just not a winter person.

Tim

o

We live about 3 miles from the Indiana line. Every labor day weekend we go up north and walk the bridge. We always camp at Castle Rock camp ground.

o

Just moved to Grand Blanc (just south of Flint) from Colorado. Been here three months now and am so glad for this unseasonable warm weather! Before Colorado I was in California...I am dreading weeks of cold cloudy weather!

Carina

o

Hi to everyone in Michigan! I recently moved from Petoskey("tip of the mitt") to Clio(5 minutes south of Birch Run and 10 minutes south of Frankenmuth-home of Bronner's, world-famous Christmas store) with my family. I like it so far, but I do miss my friends up North. I went from working full time for a dentist to being a stay at home mom, which has been a huge change, so now I have lots of time to check things out on the internet-this site has proved to be entertaining !!! I love to get e-mail, so please feel free to write back! Have a great holiday season

o

Hi I am from Mich too. All my Life. Lived int he Jackson - Ann Arbor area. Manchester to be excat but have just recently moved into our new Log Home at Lake Leann. Its nice to see so many from this Great State.

o

I was born in the "Soo" and moved to San Diego when I was 12. What a shock as I went from snowballs to the beach!

o

OK...So is it EVER going to snow around here?

o

i sure hope not. i hate winter!

o

Hi there all of your Michiganders!! I live in the Upper Peninsula. My home is near Houghton, the home of Michigan Tech University.

o

Hi, I am a Canadian living in British Columbia. My son was born 20 years ago in Grand Rapids, Michigan so I have fond memories of living there. We also lived for a number of years right acrossed from Soo, Michigan in Sault Ste Marie, Ontario. I certainly don't miss the snow and 40 below winters.

Ann.

o

Hi everyone,
Just found this thread on Michigan and wanted to add to it. I live in the northern part, up by Alpena. Anyone else in my area?

o

Thought I'd try and revive this thread! There must be more of 'us' out there!

Hope everyone is enjoying the summer. Happy 4th. of July!!!!

o

• Posted by
    mrs.micki
    (gw:mrs.micki) on
    Tue, Jul 18, 06 at 17:26

Hi! this is Micki and I'm from michigan.Sure would like to hear from others from, here.Hope to hear from someone soon.

o

Hi Micki,

What part of Michigan are you from?

o

Hi, to all you MIchiganders: Anyone from the beautiful City of Taylor, Michigan?

o

taylortucky!beautiful? yea right. if you like fat women in spandex, and 4x4s parked on the lawn.

o

I know this is an old post, but is there Michigan
life here? LOL

Was born and raised in Battle Creek, moved to Marshall
for about 12 years, and now living in Pennsylvania.

Spent my summers in Pentwater on "the" Lake.

I get so home-sick this time of year. Hi from still
a Michigander.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Get-Togethers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here