Return to the Get-Togethers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Maine???

Posted by
Joyce
(spyrogram@aol.com) on
Sun, Mar 26, 00 at 8:54

We are taking a trip to Rockland Maine this summer. I was wondering if any of you that live there could give me some tips on places to see, where to stay. Where to eat(we love seafood). Rhanks I appreciate it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Maine???

When you go out for a meal - if you are in the mood for a sandwitch, order a lobster roll. It's fantasic! Kind of like a tuna sandwitch - only made with lobster! They stuff lobster salad into a kind of toasted hot dog roll. Yum!

Go walking on the shoreline at low tide - thats when you'll see lots of cool sea life clinging to rocks & in the rock pools.

Maine is SOOoooo beautiful!

o

I was born and raised in Rockland 50's & 60's. It has changed quite a bit from when I was young, it was a fishing town then and the phrase "Camden by the sea and Rockland by the smell" applied all to well. Not any more. Virtually any place you stay will be satisfactory. You might want to try the Navigator Inn right on Main Street. It is a good central location that puts you within walking distance of practically everything. A definate MUST SEE is the Farnsworth Art Museum, they have really grown and have art up to the caliber of Andrew Wyeth. Free and low cost trips should include walking the length (7/8 mi.) of the breakwater, going the other side of the harbor to Owl's Head which has a light house (free) and the Transportation Museum ($?) which may even be having an air show if your lucky. Also drive to Camden, but follow the coast thru Rockport, a beautiful town and go to Camden Hills State Park and drive to the top of Mount Battie. Also if you like a small hike you can drive over and climb Maiden's Cliff or if you like a long hike you can take the trail from Mt. Battie. A stop in Camden at the pier is also great. My wife and I still go to all of these points and never get tired of them. Have a great time!

o

Bev, when are you going up to Rockland? are you staying in town of one of the smaller communities? This area of Maine is just wonderfully relaxing and peaceful. Not a really jumping place as far as nightlife but the scenery is just breathtaking. If you like boating, you might want to take a trip down Rte. 131 to Port Clyde and take the boat out to Monhegan Island. In the summer it is smart to make reservations, because it gets pretty crowded. It's approximately an hour ride out to the island, There is not a whole lot out there a few businesses, lots of hiking, but it is beautiful. If you like the basic idea, but want a little more civilization, try the ferry from Rockland or Lincolnville to Vinal Haven and take your bikes along, for a day trip out. If your into flea markets travel north on Rte 1 to Searsport and you'll find they line the interstate, it's a fun sunday out.

As for dining, I'll have to get back to you after I talk with my grandmother. She took me to this little dine out place off the beating path that sits right on the water between Port Clyde and Rockland, I want to say it was on Rte 73 in South Thomaston, perhaps Jeff knows where I'm taking about, I want to say it was Atwater's, but I'm not sure the best food in a basket, unbelieveable lobster rolls and steamers. There is also the DipNet in Port Clyde right behind the General Store at the end of Rte 131. You can dine at the picnic table on the wharf or there are a few tables inside. You can't see the building from the road but you can go around the side of the General Store or through it to get there.

If your in Rockland the first weekend in August, you will be there for the Lobster Festival and does this area ever get crazy and congested during this weekend but it is great for activities. Make sure you get to see the lobster crate races they're a hoot. Enjoy your vacation and I'm sure you'll go again. Jeanine

o
RE: Maine-jeff???

jeff - do you still live in the Rockland area? My parents moved home approximately 10 years ago and are loving it. Most of the family now lives in the midcoastal area and I do have a cousin named Jeff up there, could it be you? odds are unlikely but it makes you wonder. jeanine

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Get-Togethers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here