Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
variety_gw

Vertical Garage Door Opener

variety
15 years ago

I would like to install a garage door opener in a vertical position above the center of the garage door and on the same wall as the garage door instead of in the typical horizontal position. There would be a dead lift and return with no springs. There is room for the opener and track between the wall and the door. As long as the garage door opener is rated for the weight of the door does anyone see any problem with this? The door has separate locking pins for the open and closed position, so the opener would not have to continuously hold the weight. Any recommendations on models to use in this application? Can I expect to just connect the attachment bracket directly to the door if the lift length of the rail is adequate? The garage door opener companies respond with legal notices that they cannot recommend a product for non-standard applications, so I am turning here for help. Thanks.

Comments (5)

• davidandkasie
    15 years ago

i doubt it very seriously. a GDO just does not have the umph to dead lift a GD. many properly installed units cannot even lift one if 1 spring breaks. let alone trying to raise it straight up with no springs at all.

i think you need somethign like a 120v winch/cable hoist. keep in mind it will still need safeties, if the door came loose or a cable broken, it would kill someone under it. you would also need a specially designed and reinforced door, they are not made for the top to take teh full weight.

• variety
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you, davidandkasie. Good point about a lift problem even if one spring is broken. That puts things in perspective.

• heimert
    15 years ago

What about loading dock doors? Don't some of them open vertically?

I'm assuming here the goal is to keep the ceiling space above the door free of an opener and rails . . . .I think that loading docks/warehouses share this goal.

Of course, you might have to do some mods so your garage door doesn't look like, well, a loading dock.

• davidandkasie
    15 years ago

they do make loading dock doors that roll up into a tube. it will meet teh same purpose, to save space.

• don_1_2006
    15 years ago

You might want to check into one of these. Call your local Liftmaster dealer for more info. I copied this from Liftmasters website.

"Specially designed for garages that don't allow for a traditional garage door opener, our ultra-quiet, space-saving, wall-mounted jackshaft opener is perfect when you need to save space or have an oversized door or cathedral ceiling. It mounts on the wall beside the garage door, so ceiling space is freed up for maximum storage. The powerful 24VDC motor provides ultra-quiet operation, along with smooth start and smooth stop to reduce the noise of the garage door as it opens and close. It also is equipped with a power door lock for extra security  when the door is down it is securely locked. What's more, this unique system offers the added option of our EverCharge® Standby Power system to let you in and out of your garage even when the power is out."

DC Motor Residential Jackshaft Opener