Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garage door opener issue.

Posted by pugboys2008 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 3, 11 at 22:03

I have a two car garage door. My chain broke on a 2 year old 1/2hp craftsman garage door opener. I have fixed the chain and tried to run it. The chain does not move. The gears on the inside of the opener are fine. When the chain is not on the gear, it moves. Also I have the release off so that the garage door should open. Even when I release the garage door the chain still does not move. Currently the chain is in the correct position. When I try running, the opener wants to move the chain but it does not. This includes when the door is released from the guide.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garage door opener issue.

If you are positive the drive gear is good then it sounds like the pulley shaft may be bad.

o

Is the pulley shaft right by the garage door with the springs on it. The garage door opens when I release it from the garage door opener. We had the springs replaced last year.

o

No the pulley shaft is on top of the motor unit.

o

Are you sure the chain is in the correct position? Remove the chain from the pulley and run the opener. You will need to watch the pulley as the opener runs. When the pulley turns counterclockwise and stops, move the door to the open position and then put the chain back on the pulley and tighten. Now try it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here