Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Craftsman Garage Door Eye

Posted by brentwoodjeff (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 7, 06 at 21:17

I have a 12-year old 1/2-hp Craftsman garage door opener that will only close without holding down the wall switch on rare ocassions. As the temperature has dropped, successful closings have decreased. Every indication is that the problem is with the eye sensor, however the last time I pulled the receiver sensor completely out of alignment, and the door worked fine with the remote (doesn't anymore). The light will not go on on the receiver even when aligned, but there is .5 v reaching the sensor.

Is it likely the sensor is bad, and is it worth replacing or should I replace the whole unit? Everything seems to work fine otherwise. I gather from reading other postings that bypassing the sensor is not an option.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Craftsman Garage Door Eye

The sensor kit is available from Sears and probably your local door opener dealer. It's a fairly common problem and not all that hard to do.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here